Not sure if this is a AE particular question or a PI question. But we have yet to buy PI, but my company is greatly interested (I literally have my finger on the buy button). But in particular what I would have to do almost immediately is put together a animation where particles are emitted in like a swirl from one emitter then the trailing consolidate to form a logo from there the logo will zoom forward to the camera and make the screen the resulting color of the logo. I can handle the zoom part. It is the particles and forming a logo animation I have a question on. Is this something PI can do? If so any hints on how? If the answer is yes to the first question PI is a for sure purchase.
Oh, tough assignment. If it were assigned to me, I would approach it the following way:
1) Realize that it will take 2 emitters. The first leaves the sparkle trail, so I'd get that looking the way I wanted first.
2) When it's done, I'd copy it, convert the new copy to an area emitter, then make the particles fly away from the logo -- keeping in mind that I'll be reversing this sequence of frames later, so they'll be rendered as starting at the logo shape and flying out. Note that I will need to adjust the particle "velocity over life" graph so the particles start slower and pick up speed over time, or start fast and slow down over time (remember that I will reverse the frames).
3) When they're moving the way I want them to, use the "area emitter mask" option to use my logo (the alpha channel of the logo image) to define where the particles will be created.
4) render this sequence and reverse the frames in AE (or wherever)
5) combine with the initial trail sparkle sequence.
Although the exact same particles from the trail won't be moving in to create the logo, I think it will be close enough to look convincing, especially if there are a lot of particles.
I hope this is enough detail to get the idea across.
I don't think you'll regret pressing that "buy" button. If you're like many of our customers, you'll buy pIllusion for one specific thing, and end up using it for almost anything you can.