FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exactly why Particle Illusion is considered a 2D app instead of 3D?

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JGordon
Exactly why Particle Illusion is considered a 2D app instead of 3D?
on Sep 15, 2005 at 11:09:20 pm

Hi,

I own a copy of Particle Illusion 3.0 but I've never understood the reason(s) why it's considered a "2D Application" rather than 3D. Can someone explain this to me? Thanks.

Incidentally, in relationship to the question above, I want to use PI with Vegas 5 and I want to create a scene with my little 3 year old who absolutely loves to act out very cute "super-hero fight scenes" wherein he is the superhero and I am getting pummeled by him. I want to film it using a green screen and Ultra Serious magic and some of the virtual sets that I bought with it, and then was wanting to use PI to make it look like lightning or fire, etc. is coming from his tiny little hands and blasting me in the head. Then add sound effects, stupid dialog from me and him giggling like he does when he acts all of this stuff out., etc. Was hoping PI will make it look somewhat realistic and am assuming that's where it's strengths are. Any caveats that I should look out for here?

-John

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: Exactly why Particle Illusion is considered a 2D app instead of 3D?
on Sep 16, 2005 at 12:23:26 pm

particleIllusion has a 2D workspace (like a paint program), not a 3D workspace (like a 3D app). There is no "camera" that you can move, zoom, etc.

One suggestion that I can make for your live-action project: make the particle effects move FAST. The best fire effect will look goofy if it slowly shoots out of your son's hands. Also, when you shoot the video, make sure you move in reaction to the "stuff" hitting you. Finally, you'll probably want to do the final particles render with the background video turned off, save with an alpha channel, then composite in Vegas (instead of letting pIllusion do the composite).

I hope others will add tips too.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
Re: Exactly why Particle Illusion is considered a 2D app instead of 3D?
on Sep 19, 2005 at 1:31:07 pm

3D implies 3 dimensions - X (left Right) Y (Up Down) And Z (forward and backwards - to create depth)

Since pIllusion works on XY coordinates, and it's particles don't ocupy that 3rd dimension of space (and therefore are all on a flat XY spatial grid), it is not 3D.

This isn't to say it can't simulate 3D to some degree - in many cases convincingly), but it does not utilize spatial coordinates outside the XY grid.

AS far as your project goes - durring the explosive part, see if you can get vagas to jitter the footage a bit, making it shaky, like an earthquake - with motion blur even better. It will add a lot to the believability of the shot. Good sound FX never hurt either.

Oh and if you can hire john williams to score the scene, and the boston phiharmonic to perform it, that would also be helpful, but you can always rely in prerecorded stuff if they aren't avaialable ;-)

----------------------------------------
Aharon Rabinowitz
aharon(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
http://www.allbetsareoff.com
----------------------------------------
Creative Cow Master Series DVD
particleIllusion Fusion Volume 1
available @ http://www.pIllusionFusion.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]