FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with not seeing Divx6 codec in pI3

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
diana
Problem with not seeing Divx6 codec in pI3
on Jul 6, 2005 at 2:12:02 am

I can't see the Divx 6 codec to choose when saving an avi file in particle Illusion 3. I was using 5.2 ok, uninstalled Divx 6 and went back to 5.2 in the meantime. Divx support fella told me to find out from each software maker how to perform a local installation of the codec. How does one do that?

Anyone else have problems with Divx 6 in particle Illusion or when playing back animations made with Divx 6 in particle Illusion? Divx6 (or trying to handle the avi file) crashes WMP9 and 10 on my system when it tries to play a particle Illusion made avi file made using 5.2 codec moments before the install of Divx6. The Divx 6 codec doesn't show up in the list of codecs for any programs I use to create avi files.

Divx 6 supports says "Older versions of the codec can get recognized though the global installation of Video Compressors." But not so with Divx 6 or I wouldn't be looking for information on how to perform a local installation, per their instructions.

I've redownloaded the Divx 6 create bundle installation program to make sure I didn't get a corrupt download. Uninstalled Dr. Divx and the Divx codec, rebooted, reintalled all or just the codec into the default folders, several installs and reinstalls, nothing works.

Any feedback on the issue is welcome.

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
Re: Problem with not seeing Divx6 codec in pI3
on Jul 7, 2005 at 6:39:16 pm

As far as I know any codec you have installed on your system should just be available from the drop down in pI once you install it. I've never heard of a local installation of a codec.

Does Windows see DIVX 6 in the list of codecs (It's under Settings> Control Panel> Sound and Audio Devices> Hardware Tab, then select Video codecs and hit Properties)?

Is there a reason you need to stick with DIVX? XVID seems like a good alternative, I use it regularly now when I need to shoot out a quick preview render or something for the web.

--
Elvis Deane!
The particleIllusion FAQ
particleIllusion Resources and tutorial CD
Astounding Adventures

Return to posts index

diana
on Jul 8, 2005 at 12:16:16 am

Thanks for the feedback. I have now had word back from Divx people (after making me do the uninstall reinstall shuffle) that it isn't actually my applications fault at all. They changed the way Divx6 works. It can't be picked up and used from the "global compressor list" as before. They tell me too many folks were integrating divx into their applications without certification so now you have to be a "partner" and have a "certified" application, which will perform a local install of Divx6. I've asked for a refund if they can't make their player, converter and mpeg plugin I paid for work with a local install of their Divx6 codec for their benefit and allow me to reinstall Divx 5 so my other applications (like pI) can still encode in Divx codec. I have a lot of older apps that never will be updated to to a "certified" app and I've lost a function by upgrading. They didn't mention this before I upgraded so I and a lot of other upset users are really torqued. Anyway, I've uninstalled the codec and all apps and went back to my Divx 5.2 codec until they either pony up a fix or a refund.

I use Divx because I have a Divx certified DVD player at home, just bought my father one and several of my friends have the same player since it handles most DVD,SVCD or VCD, including scratched rental DVD discs, better than others we've owned. With Divx, I can share my home made animations and home movies in Divx format and I know they can watch them. Xvid files often play with corrupted color on this particular DVD player although a visit to the setup menu and exiting right back out sometimes works to correct it.

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Jul 8, 2005 at 12:23:17 am

If you remember a while back we had DivX versions of movies in our gallery. We had to remove those because DivX wanted a licensing fee for us to use their codec "commercially".

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

diana
on Jul 8, 2005 at 12:10:47 pm

Alan, I asked for a refund and told them I would no longer support a company that takes money from users so they can encode in their applications, then sells an "upgrade" which removes that capability along with other capabilities that were available in older versions of their software.

Then they try to extort money from application makers that are only using the divx codec in some sample animations on a web site, not in a for sale product.

They lost a paying customer.

Return to posts index

diana
on Jul 8, 2005 at 12:11:41 pm

Alan, I asked for a refund and told them I would no longer support a company that takes money from users so they can encode in their applications, then sells an "upgrade" which removes that capability along with other capabilities that were available in older versions of their software.

Then they try to extort money from application makers that are only using the divx codec in some sample animations on a web site, not in a for sale product.

They lost a paying customer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]