FORUMS: list search recent posts

PI 3.0.1a demo crashing when trying to curve movement

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nerdface
PI 3.0.1a demo crashing when trying to curve movement
on Jun 18, 2005 at 9:24:41 pm

Howdy,

I used the search function, but I couldn't find any posts about this subject.
Here's the problem: When I have a particle moving around by selecting it and using the move tool to set positions at keyframes everything still works fine. However, when I then try to curve those straight lines by right-clicking and selecting 'Curved' my laptop crashes instantly, or right after I try to adjust the handles. Not just Particle Illusion crashes, it takes everything with it. I have to reboot in order to make everything work again. It does this every single time.

I have already installed the latest drivers for my video card (a Mobility Radeon 9000), which is in my Fujitsu Siemens Amilo a7620 laptop.

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

- Nerdface

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
Re: PI 3.0.1a demo crashing when trying to curve movement
on Jun 19, 2005 at 6:34:09 pm

Are they the latest drivers, or the latest certified drivers? The difference is that the latest certified ones are tested with more programs (I think).

Is there any difference if you alt-click on the keyframes rather than right-click and select Curved?

--
Elvis Deane!
The particleIllusion FAQ
particleIllusion Resources and tutorial CD
Astounding Adventures

Return to posts index

Nerdface
on Jun 19, 2005 at 7:19:56 pm

Howdy Elvis,

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, it didn't work. I downloaded the latest (what I think are certified, it doesn't say) drivers from the Fujitsu Siemens site, since that's where the official ATI site directed me. I installed the drivers again just to make sure though. No effect.

I also tried Alt-clicking like you told me, this seemed to work, but as soon as I adjusted the handles it crashed again.

I think I've narrowed it down though. When I deselected 'Use hardware acceleration' in the 'OpenGL' tab of the 'Preferences' window, followed by restarting the program as it told me to do, everything worked fine. I could easily adjust the curves with no problems whatsoever. This seems to be the problem. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to fix it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

- Nerdface

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
on Jun 19, 2005 at 8:16:57 pm

As far as I know that means it's a driver issue, so its weird that the latest ones are giving you problems.

Hopefully Alan will pop by and have some ideas, or you can try writing in to support@wondertouch.com

--
Elvis Deane!
The particleIllusion FAQ
Astounding Adventures

Return to posts index

Nerdface
on Jun 19, 2005 at 9:01:46 pm

Thanks for the help Elvis! (I didn't think I'd ever say those words to a living person :P ) I'll try emailing to the support address you gave me.

In the meantime, I wonder if there's something else you can help me with. I can't seem to get position data from tracked motion in After Effects 6.5 into PI. I followed the tutorial on the wondertouch site, but that didn't seem to work. Any advice you can give me on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

- Nerdface

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
on Jun 20, 2005 at 6:15:37 am

If you're tracking motion in AE, be sure to apply it to a target object, and then copy the position data from that object for import. If you just try to copy the info straight from the Tracker, it won't import into pI.

--
Elvis Deane!
The particleIllusion FAQ
Astounding Adventures

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]