doubt with blockers!!

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fighter**PT*
doubt with blockers!!
on Jun 14, 2005 at 7:40:59 pm

heyz again =)
here's another noob question i think.
when i'm using blokers, they work creating a solid barrier to the effect, in other words if i define a square, the blocker will be precise blocking every inch of the blocker from any particle, but what if i wanted to smooth the square?? instead of having a solid block , i wanted the particles to invade a little all around the blocker, smoothing it!
is that possible? i figured out a way of kind of doing this using forces, but it doesn't work that good :

Return to posts index

Jonathan Decker
Re: doubt with blockers!!
on Jun 15, 2005 at 4:41:24 am

Well, dude. You're sunk. J/K you can add points to create the curves on the corners, but if you're looking for a way to "soften the edges", hmmm.
It might be best to do the compositing of your project layers outside of the particle illusion program. As you have noticed the blocker function simply adds a masking layer on top of your emmiter. If you can export your animation prior to the addition of the blocker, save the images in a folder named layer one, or something. Then go and add your blocker for visual reference in PI and continue to create your layered effect. When you export next, hide everything below the blocker and export the images to a folder called "layer two." Use After Effects or some other compositing software that has keying capabilities to combine the two with a softened alpha shape inserted between (on top of "layer one" and under "layer two"). An easy way to do this is with a nested composition using a garbage matte or the like in the Adobe products. Most other Vid comp edit programs have something like this too. Seems like a lot of work but it really isn't. Do it about five or six times and you won't even think about it anymore.

gesamtkunstzwerk

Return to posts index

Jonathan Decker
on Jun 15, 2005 at 4:53:05 am

Oh, Dude, sorry for the double post. Here's another possibility. Create an emitter of the shape you want blocked and simply layer it in on top. Easy. Sorry bout the earlier complex answer.

gesamtkunstzwerk

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
on Jun 15, 2005 at 12:02:48 pm

Unfortunately, pIllusion's blockers can't be feathered. I usually render out my particles, and then bring the footage into After Effetcs, and create a feathered mask. This makes the edges soft.

----------------------------------------
Aharon Rabinowitz
aharon(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
http://www.allbetsareoff.com
Creative Cow Master Series DVD
particleIllusion Fusion Volume 1
available @ http://www.pIllusionFusion.com

Return to posts index

Fighter**PT*
on Jun 15, 2005 at 8:45:50 pm

no problem about the complex answer, i'm not used to adobe after effects : gonna have to do some self learning first lol thanks for the helping tips, i just din't get the ideia out of Aharon post : what do you mean by rending out yur particles?

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
on Jun 15, 2005 at 8:52:34 pm

Rendering is the term used for The process of creating a synthetic image from data.

In this case, that means outputting the particles on your stage as an image sequence (such as TIF, TGA, PNG) or as an AVI.

Until you render out your movie or sequence (by hitting the Red Record button), all that work you did in pIllusion hasn't actually been used for anything. It's still just data. You want to turn that into pictures, which is what rendering, whether in pIllusion, AE, or Maya, is all about.

Aharon Rabinowitz
aharon(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
http://www.allbetsareoff.com
Creative Cow Master Series DVD
particleIllusion Fusion Volume 1
available @ http://www.pIllusionFusion.com

Return to posts index

Fighter**PT*
on Jun 16, 2005 at 9:19:38 am