FORUMS: list search recent posts

Background AVI problem

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob
Background AVI problem
by
on May 19, 2005 at 2:42:59 pm

My first post - hurray! But I have a problem - boo...

I noticed from other posts that some people have had the same problem as me; an AVI used as a background image that had been fine in previous weeks but now imports as only a black background.

It is the same if it is a newly created AVI or older files from disc. It's particularly annoying as they were fine for the last two weeks of experimenting with pI (which I have found to be a total joy), and now the particular project I have is GO GO GO, something isn't working.

I tried using downloaded codecs, re-installing the software, everything, but no joy. I've tried to resave the AVI (created in SwishMax) through Premiere and then importing it into pI. Still no joy.

Anyone got any other solutions / ideas on this one?

I hope someone can help!

Many thanks

Rob

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: Background AVI problem
on May 19, 2005 at 3:01:50 pm

Did you try "run with software rendering"?

You should also check the "do not use texture RAM for bg images" option in the preferences OpenGL page.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

cowcow
Rob
by
on May 19, 2005 at 3:25:38 pm

Yes, I tried everything suggested in other postings but with no joy, unfortunately.

Rob

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on May 19, 2005 at 5:40:42 pm

Is the stage size the exact same size as the dimensions of the clip?

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

Rob
by
on May 19, 2005 at 5:45:45 pm

Yes, exactly the same size. As I said, it had worked fine with any AVI exported from SwishMax, Strata, Premiere, now it doesn't want to know with anything, only stills.

Rob

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on May 19, 2005 at 6:03:27 pm

Have you installed any new apps since it last worked?

Can you render out an AVI in pIllusion?

If so, can you load that rendered AVI back into pIllusion?

Can you use an AVI as a particle shape image?

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

Rob
by
on May 19, 2005 at 8:14:05 pm

Hi Alan

I can render an AVI perfectly from Particle, and it plays fine outside the software. However, try and import it back in, same problem as before. Very frustrating.

Rob

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on May 19, 2005 at 9:02:49 pm

Maybe you should email me privately at support at wondertouch dot com and we'll figure this out.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

Rob
by
on May 20, 2005 at 9:38:22 am

Hi Alan

Firstly, many thanks for the advice, tips and suggestions you've made so far - greatly appreciated.

Secondly - I switched off the OpenGL option, and pI is now importing AVI files with no problem. Might sound a daft question, but does this point solely to an OpenGL problem / incompatability?

Also, does rendering out with OpenGL switched off have any effect on the quality of the output file? If not, I'll carry on, much happier!

Many thanks again
Rob

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on May 20, 2005 at 11:26:32 am

No, there are no quality differences, but it's much slower. In theory, software rendering should produce identical results as using hardware acceleration. I've never done a pixel-by-pixel comparison though.

You should check to see if there are updated drivers for your graphics card. If you've got the latest drivers and they are "beta" drivers, try going back to the newest "released" or "qualified" driver.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

Rob
by
on May 20, 2005 at 3:55:21 pm

Hi Alan

You, sir, are a genius.

I hopped online, got new drivers for my nVidia card, and now (touch wood!!), pI is behaving better than ever; AVI import and export, no problems.

I can't thank you enough - I can devote my time to getting this project sorted and giving them a great job.

Many, many thanks for all your help and advice

Rob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]