FORUMS: list search recent posts

3-dimesional particles

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcellus
3-dimesional particles
on Apr 28, 2005 at 3:59:24 pm

Is there some kind of way to make your particles look 3-dimesional in a sense where you would have to where 3d glasses in order that it stands out. Is there a software out there if particle illusion cannot do this?

Return to posts index

yikesmikes
Re: 3-dimesional particles
on Apr 28, 2005 at 8:31:58 pm

After Effects can do it. I just did a little 3D on a tentacle worm thing, yikes.

In AE, Channel>3D Glasses. I like that old 50's (your eyes will die after 90 minutes) look. The plugin is a little confusing, lots of options for the newer stero 3D, but for the old 50's look: "Balanced Color Red Blue" with the avi as the left and right image, then you tweak the convergence parameter to determine how quickly your eyes will die.

You can get a free pair of 3D Glasses in the mail, google "free 3D glasses".

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Apr 28, 2005 at 8:54:41 pm

How does AE determine which parts of the image are "in front"? Is it based on channel luminance, or color values, or what? I have some ideas of how to do some cool things, but no time to play.

Lets say that AE uses greyscale values to determine which parts are in front. Then I'd take an emitter (like the tentacles) and make the size over life increase so the particles are biggest when they die. Then I would change the color gradient to go from black to white. Then I'd check "keep in order", with "oldest in front". Then I'd wiggle the emitter around a little when recording the AVI.

Another option would be to use the ChromaDepth scheme... is that the right term? I'm going from memory. You wouldn't need AE for this... just use the example above and make the color gradient go through the ChromaDepth colors. http://www.chromatek.com/ You need the special glasses though.

If you have the glasses already, you can use Gloodle to make some 3D images (Gloodle is a free app on our website).

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

Marcellus
on Apr 28, 2005 at 9:26:29 pm

As opposed to a gloodle, can this be done with the fireworks emitters?

Return to posts index

yikesmikes
on May 1, 2005 at 4:13:57 am

AE uses a couple od different methds; stereo Pair, Interlace Upper L Lower R (polarized or LCD shutter glasses), and the old 50's standby red-Blue (or Red-Green0.

I just use the old 50's Red Blue with the Red Blue Glasses. From the help files it seems to use the luminace value, although one method uses the rgb channels (I'm over my head here, merely quoting the Help files).

I'll try some of you suggested methods above.

Return to posts index

Marcellus
on May 2, 2005 at 3:31:15 pm

Are these old 50's standby red-Blue "effects" within the standard program or are they separate "plug-ins" because if it automatically comes with the program I will definitely be purchasing it. Is it easy to do. I will have a black background with fireworks from PI going on and 3d models in front of the fireworks. Can I save the entire video as .avi and apply the effect and it will automaticaaly adjust the reds and blues to create the 3-d effect?

Return to posts index

yikesmikes
on May 3, 2005 at 7:19:14 am

The Plugin is "3D Glasses" in the Standard and Pro versions under "Effect>Channel".

Download the demo version and see what you think:

http://www.adobe.com/products/tryadobe/main.jsp#product=13

And google "free 3D glasses" to get a pair of red-blue glasses(choice of several places). All form of 3D from this native AE plugin are there, you need to select one of several forms from the drop down. The documentation from the help files is a bit sparse and I wish I could get more info myself.

I haven't used the stereoscopic or shutter options as I don't have the glasses and there is no nostalgia draw there for me. In truth, I think they work (the red blue glasses) but my eyes are a bit bogus, as I was diagnosed with some problem with improper eye "fusion" (by the Arm. I couldn't see depth perception properly for an Army drivers license, without Army issue glasses, but it didn't stop them from sending me to Vietnam with a pair of glasses of course - that I promptly threw away, and this is probably way more than anyone needs to know here, but - it looks like the old 50's red-blue 3D effect to me. Like I said, get the demo, fully functional for 30 days, and check it out. Like I said, get the demo, fully functional for 30 days, and check it out. AE is very powerful, 3D Glasses being the least (an little used and/or understood)among many capabilities.

AE is an amazing program and I'm anxious to see how PI integrates with it when PI AE Plugin comes out. I am currently particle-challenged, and I know Trapcode Particular has many devout followers at the Cow AE page ( and many also mention PI), but from fooling around with the demo version of PI, I find it easier somehow to get interesting complicated variations.

I'll shut up now.

Return to posts index

Marcellus
on May 4, 2005 at 12:44:25 pm

I don't know a thing about AE, but wondered if I could get some steps in applying the effect.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]