FORUMS: list search recent posts

Still Images

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DeMarcusGD86
Still Images
on Apr 22, 2005 at 9:09:00 pm

I had a question about using PI3 (PC version) for still imagery.

I'm having trouble exporting a still transparent still frame for use with Photoshop. Basically, what I'd like to do is import my main image in as the background, but only for reference, and then work over that image in PI to add my desired effects. After that, I'd like to render ONLY the particle layer as a single image with a transparent background I can then import back into Photoshop as a layer. I hope I was clear on that... How would I go by doing that?

Thanks in advance for any help!

DeMarcus

SUPPORT INDEPENDENT ENTERTAINMENT!

http://www.gdasylum.com

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
Re: Still Images
on Apr 23, 2005 at 3:48:28 am

Click on the little BG icon on the layer, which will hide the background image. Then hit the render button, choose an image format that supports transparency (PSD isn't necessarily your best bet here even if you're going into Photoshop. The PSD version supported in pI is a little old. Try PNG, TIF or TGA instead).

If you have the "remove black BG" setting checked in your Render Options (which is probably a good idea in your case since you're hiding the background image), your image will look a little funny when you view it. It will look like normal once you copy and paste it onto a background image in PS though.

--
Elvis Deane!
The particleIllusion FAQ
particleIllusion Resources and tutorial CD
Astounding Adventures

Return to posts index

DeMarcusGD86
on Apr 23, 2005 at 6:21:16 am

Thanks for the help,

I got my transparency issue handled. now I'm having trouble with output size. Now when I render, the image is really small in comparison to the image in photoshop. How would I get the still image in PI to render for hi res (300-600px per inch in Photoshop)use. Normally I wouldn't be such a pain but using PI for print work is new to me.

Once again thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
on Apr 23, 2005 at 7:33:47 am

pI can only render to the size of your desktop. For something that high res, you'll probably have to use pIllusionRender. Just save your scene, then open it up in pIllusionRender (which should be installed in the same folder as pI). The render settings are similar to the ones in pI, but because it doesn't use hardware accelleration, it usually takes a while longer to render.

--
Elvis Deane!
The particleIllusion FAQ
Astounding Adventures

Return to posts index

DeMarcusGD86
on Apr 23, 2005 at 6:46:41 pm

Once again thanks for your help,

But I'm beginning to think PI wasn't meant to be used to create the kind of art I need. Whatever I render out at that size look like it has scanlines over it and is in black and white. And I've tweaked settings left and right in pillusionrender, but no dice. However when I render in the default size and 720x486, it works like a charm. Anyone use PI for still imagery have ant tips/tricks? I'd love to use it to create special FX in comic book meant for print.

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
on Apr 23, 2005 at 9:13:17 pm

There are certain size settings in pIrender that give funny results, and I have never figured out a pattern to it, but I really don't use it that often. Try adding a pixel or two to the size (I'm not certain, but even numbers divisible by 4 may be best to aim for) and see if the lines vanish.

--
Elvis Deane!
The particleIllusion FAQ
Astounding Adventures

Return to posts index

DeMarcusGD86
on Apr 24, 2005 at 1:44:31 am

Mr Deane,

Thanks a million for your help, I did the even numbers divisible by four thing, and it worked pretty consistently, so I think my problems are solved, thanks!

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Apr 25, 2005 at 1:06:13 pm

I've been trying to figure out that problem for a while. I knew that "weird" sizes caused problems with pIRender, but haven't had time to investigate. Do you know if the width of the image was a problem, or was it the height?

If somebody could do a little investigation for me, and see if widths that aren't a multiple of 4 are a problem, and if heights that aren't a multiple of 4 are a problem. (Don't try both at once.)

Thanks.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]