FORUMS: list search recent posts

Auto-adjust text box/shape size.... but with a twist?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julie Mullins
Auto-adjust text box/shape size.... but with a twist?
on Jul 29, 2019 at 4:50:09 pm

Hey everybody,

I'm using an expression that auto resizes rectangles behind text based on the length of text, but my CD wants something a little different. I need to keep this as easy as possible to use/change/adjust because I may be passing this off to the the Premier video editors to create other versions in the future.

The CD would like these text boxes to scale on with these crosshairs/plus signs (and a little bounce) and I can't figure out how to make this with an expression (only thing I can think of is using nulls to move the plus signs, but the video editors would like this to be as plug-and-play as possible).

Any ideas? If someone can figure this out, you get the a place in the golden frame of mograph helping heroes on my desk. Who's gonna take out Dave LaRonde?

Thanks!

*** Here's an example of what I need it to look like ***

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
Re: Auto-adjust text box/shape size.... but with a twist?
on Jul 29, 2019 at 7:18:11 pm

Hey Julie, few questions:

1. Are the crosses shape layers? If so, are they lines or rectangles? The reason why I ask this, is shapes has a bit different anchorpoint/positioning grouping than plain layers.
2. Is text/text box only center aligned, or are there other alignment options as well?

Cheers.

P.S. Nice HOF, hehe!

Find out more:
After Effects Tutorials: motion design, expressions, scripting.
Boxer - Dynamic Text Boxes Template with a Live Preview

Return to posts index

Julie Mullins
on Jul 29, 2019 at 8:28:43 pm

Hi,

1. Right now they are shapes, but I'm fine with whatever works and is easier- lines would be fine too.
2. It can just be center-aligned if that's easiest. The editors will be happy if all they have to do is move a precomp over a little bit instead of having to touch keyframes, which makes both parties nervous.

Thanks! ☺

A Post it with "EBBERTS" was in there for a while for creating a custom stroke expression, and being a AE hero in general.

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
on Jul 30, 2019 at 8:24:43 am

Julie, instead of explaining all stuff in writing, I will just add a project file here. I chased down this as it was interesting approach. With few adjustments, it could be turn into more unique and complex execution though, but I added significant sliders already.

You can control the bounciness by adding expression to slider 'crosses-offset-distance'.

Other than that, everything is pretty straight forward and with proper layer/effect names.

Quick gif for preview:

Download link:
13581_shapeboxwithcrosses.aep.zip

Find out more:
After Effects Tutorials: motion design, expressions, scripting.
Boxer - Dynamic Text Boxes Template with a Live Preview

Return to posts index

Julie Mullins
on Jul 30, 2019 at 6:13:48 pm

Thank you!!! ☺

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]