random pick a comp, play through it, random pick another

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
victor jantea
random pick a comp, play through it, random pick another
on Feb 11, 2018 at 11:16:53 pm

hi everyone
what i would like to ideally have happen is this:
one of 7 comps is randomly chosen, it fades in, plays through, another one of the comps is chosen, the first fades out as the second fades in and so on.

i am selecting one of the comps with a (random) slider, and ideally, when the slider animates (and holds for a while) to an integer between 1 and 7, that comp starts to fade in (as the old one fades out), holds 100% opacity for a while, fades out and so on... the big advantage being that i can smoothly scale the durations of the fade in/out/hold of the comps

so far i've managed to: get some checkboxes to randomly turn on one at a time and get a comp to fade out every time a checkbox turns to OFF. but i can not figure out how to get it to also fade in as the checkbox turns to ON in the same expression, it's either one or the other and i need both... i probably need a WHILE or a FOR expression going back from current playhead time but it's really exhausted me just from figuring the rest out... help? ☺ thank you!

t=time
fadeTime=effect("fade")("Slider")
threshold = 0.5
above = false
frame = Math.round(time / thisComp.frameDuration)

while (true){
t = frame * thisComp.frameDuration;
if (above){
if (thisComp.layer("test slider to checkbox").effect("check 1")("Checkbox").valueAtTime(t) &lt; threshold){
frame++;
break;
}
}else if (thisComp.layer("test slider to checkbox").effect("check 1")("Checkbox").valueAtTime(t) >= threshold){
above = true;
}
if (frame == 0){
break;
}
frame--
}
if (! above){
t = 0;
}else{
t = time - frame * thisComp.frameDuration;
}