FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looping opacity with set fade up/down and "stay on" durations

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Robinson
Looping opacity with set fade up/down and "stay on" durations
on Jan 26, 2017 at 11:18:07 pm
Last Edited By Ben Robinson on Jan 26, 2017 at 11:24:39 pm

I've been scouring this site (and others) for over an hour now trying to find a way to fade a layer up over a set time, stay on for a set time, then fade down over the same fade up time, then loop. I can get the fade up, stay on, fade down bit--but falling down at adding the loop. I've found several examples that are close--but I can't decipher the code sufficiently to apply it to my needs; and the more I stare at the expression field in AE the less capable I'm becoming...

Any help much appreciated.

fadeTime = effect("Fade In/Out")("Slider")/25;
onTime = effect("On Time")("Slider")/25;
fadeDur = fadeTime*2+onTime;
fadeInOpacity = linear(time, inPoint, inPoint+fadeTime, 0, 100);
fadeOutOpacity = linear(time, fadeTime+onTime, fadeDur, 100, 0);
(fadeInOpacity * fadeOutOpacity) / 100

Actually worked this out before my post even went live. Added a modulus to the above code to get

fadeTime = effect("Fade In/Out")("Slider")/25;
onTime = effect("On Time")("Slider")/25;
t = time%fadeDur;
fadeInOpacity = linear(t, inPoint, inPoint+fadeTime, 0, 100);
fadeOutOpacity = linear(t, fadeTime+onTime, fadeDur, 100, 0);

I guess searching / staring at all the different examples somehow got something though...

Return to posts index

Ben Robinson
Re: Looping opacity with set fade up/down and "stay on" durations
on Jan 27, 2017 at 12:48:24 pm

Ok, so it turns out I hadn't solved my own problem after all--mainly because it's not just the opacity expression I need; I also need to time remap a random freeze frame and a random colour change (from a set palette) at the same time as the fade up / fade down--basically a new frame / colour every time opacity reaches zero. On top of that, a second layer also needs to randomly change colour over the same period as fade up / fade down.

I've confused myself with all of that--and it's my project! Maybe an actual description will help...

I have a set of icons (currently 38, but could increase), all 1 frame in length, in a 38 frame precomp. Around that precomp is a border. I want to randomly select a frame from the icon precomp and hold on it for a set amount of time (ideally set by a slider in a master comp) and have it fade out over a set time (again on a slider) then change frame and colour (via a Tint / Fill effect) then fade up again (same as fade out time). Meanwhile the border will, as the icon fades out / in, change from one random colour to another (without fading in / out).

I have some of this working--but can't get the timing of each change to coincide, even though the timings are all supposedly linked to the same master sliders...

Current fade in/out code (this seems to work as I want it to):

fadeTime = framesToTime(comp("MAIN COMP").layer("TIMING CONTROLS").effect("Fade In/Out Time (Frames)")("Slider"));
seedRandom(comp("MAIN COMP").layer("TIMING CONTROLS").effect("Random Seed")("Slider"), true);
onTime = framesToTime(comp("MAIN COMP").layer("TIMING CONTROLS").effect("On Time (Frames)")("Slider"))*random(1,2);
t = time%fadeDur;
fadeInOpacity = linear(t, inPoint, inPoint+fadeTime, 0, 100);
fadeOutOpacity = linear(t, fadeTime+onTime, fadeDur, 100, 0);

Time remap code (works, but timing is off with above opacity change):

segDur = comp("MAIN COMP").layer("TIMING CONTROLS").effect("On Time (Frames)")("Slider")/25+comp("MAIN COMP").layer("TIMING CONTROLS").effect("Fade In/Out Time (Frames)")("Slider")/25;
minVal = inPoint;
maxVal = framesToTime(37);

seed = Math.floor(time/segDur);
seedRandom(seed,true);
random(minVal,maxVal);

Colour change (this, again, works, but timing doesn't match--works well as transition for border, but not for icon colour change):

colors = [[49,32,28,255]/255,
[0,175,170,255]/255,
[221,0,49,255]/255,
[172,0,51,255]/255,
[255,108,27,255]/255,
[220,143,27,255]/255];
easeTime = framesToTime(comp("MAIN COMP").layer("TIMING CONTROLS").effect("Fade In/Out Time (Frames)")("Slider"));
segDur = framesToTime(comp("MAIN COMP").layer("TIMING CONTROLS").effect("On Time (Frames)")("Slider"))*2;

curSeg = Math.floor(time/segDur);
t = time%segDur;
seedRandom(curSeg,true);
idx1 = Math.floor(random(colors.length));
seedRandom(curSeg-1,true);
idx0 = Math.floor(random(colors.length));
ease(t,0,easeTime,colors[idx0],colors[idx1])

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]