FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replacing actuall position values using clamp?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Schreuders
Replacing actuall position values using clamp?
on Jan 24, 2017 at 10:16:59 am

Hi there,

I'm trying to build an on-screen slider within a composition to control something from within the comp itself, instead of using an expression slider in the effect controls window.

I've made a scroll-able object that functions as a slider and restricted the min/max position of the object using clamp. When reaching the min or max value the (red) value of the position, as expected, shows the correct values from clamp. But when I click on the value I noticed that it can actually be higher or lower than the given restrictions of clamp. The problem occurs when the object is dragged past the clamp min/max, the red value shows the min/max value while the actual values just keep going up. When you try dragging the object again this will result in a delay.

I uploaded a screen capture to clarify the problem:

Is there a way for clamp to have absolute control of a value to avoid this problem?

Return to posts index

Emre Anil
Re: Replacing actuall position values using clamp?
on Jan 25, 2017 at 6:50:00 am

Actually that is not a problem, it's how expressions work..

When you set a value with expression you don't actually change the value, you kinda enhance it with functions etc. but the actual value is always there and you can still mess with it. When you click to a value you see the actual one, not the one effected by the expression..

when you disable the expression or delete it completely, the property is set to the actual value behind the expression.

Return to posts index

Jeff Schreuders
on Jan 25, 2017 at 9:52:46 am

Hi Emre, thanks for your fast reply and explanation.
Is it possible than to change the actual value with expressions?

Return to posts index

Emre Anil
on Jan 25, 2017 at 10:09:48 am

Unfortunately no..

Because when you add an expression you create a second value for the property. As soon as you delete or disable the expression the property returns to it's own value (which you could have changed while the expression was still active as I explained)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]