FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to Duplicate AE Comp that has expressions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Nelson
How to Duplicate AE Comp that has expressions
on Oct 5, 2016 at 6:10:33 pm

First off thanks for taking the time to review my question, all help is immensely appreciated. I've been building my first AE template project, it is a slideshow/opener and I'm running into some problems with expressions. Specifically I have several effect controllers that control various effects like BG color with expressions. All controls work perfectly. BUT if a client buys the template and wants to duplicate comp, to add more slides to the slide show, then the expressions still reference the original comp not the new comp. I'm pretty new to expressions, and have been searching forums for a few days to find a way where a client can duplicate a comp and have the expressions reference the new duplicate comp so they do not run into expression error. In general whats a good way to set up your slideshow template so that the various slides/scenes can be duplicated without causing expression errors.
To be more specific I call my main comp "Render". Inside of Render are my various slide comps, arranged in a modular structure. Inside each slide I have a null layer named "Effects Controller". when pickwhipping attributes to the controllers on the layer "Effects Controller" which is always the first layer, I have updated the expression so that it refers to the index of the layer not name,
thisComp.layer(1).effect("Text 08 Animation Shadow")("Shadow Color") which works just fine, except for nested precomps. I have several nested precomps that have color shapes inside of them, and I have the "fill" of each shape pickwhipped to a color controller on the effects controller layer, but because they reside in a precomp, using thisComp.layer(1) obviously wont work. Thus Ill have to refer to the comp by name, which wont update if the comp is duplicated. I'm sure there is an easy solution I have not thought about, but any ideas regarding this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]