FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scaling Based on y rotation of another layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Devon Stern
Scaling Based on y rotation of another layer
on Sep 26, 2016 at 6:14:53 pm

Hey guys,

I know this is super simple but I can't seem to figure it out.

I have a carrousel of objects in a circle (on the z-axis) which rotate towards camera around a null. I want to setup an expression to adjust the scale of the objects based on the rotation of the controller null. I want the objects to scale gradually to 50% in x and y as the null rotation approaches multiples of 180 degrees (like 180, 360, 450 etc).

Should be simple, but I just can't get it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-D

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Scaling Based on y rotation of another layer
on Sep 26, 2016 at 8:32:23 pm

You want them all to scale at the same time?

Dan

Return to posts index

Devon Stern
on Sep 26, 2016 at 9:29:36 pm

nah

just whichever is closest to approaching the furthest point from camera (i.e. 180,360, etc)

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Sep 26, 2016 at 9:44:28 pm

Sorry, I don't get it.

Dan

Return to posts index

Devon Stern
on Sep 26, 2016 at 10:20:28 pm

Sorry about that Dan. Hopefully this little gif helps.

Right now this is only turning using perspective from a camera. However I would like to use expressions to scale the receding circles from 100%-50%.

Not sure if you need to know this but the circles are 3D in addition to the null that controls them.

I know this sounds weird especially since the camera seems to do it by itself but I need to be able to control the scale amount.

Also would be cool to know if you could have the same thing happen to the opacity, IE using the rotation to inform the opacity percentage.

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Sep 26, 2016 at 11:47:10 pm

You could base it on a min and max distance from the camera--then the expression would be the same for each layer.

Or, you could base it on the null's rotation, in which case, each expression will be different depending on where the layer starts out in relation to the null's zero rotation. It's tricky. There may be a simple solution, but it's not jumping out at me.

Dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]