FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trigger stroke (or trim paths) after certain % of another stroke

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Treen
Trigger stroke (or trim paths) after certain % of another stroke
on Sep 23, 2016 at 2:07:23 pm

I am currently animating the flow of hydraulic fluid through a path on a schematic. This path contains a main "trunk" with multiple branches going off at different points along its length. I usually use Trim Paths, with all my paths contained on one layer depict this, but because of the number of stroke objects, the process is very time consuming and results in too many buried keyframes objects.

Ideally, I'd like to use expressions to make the branch strokes commence drawing once the trunk stroke reaches a given % of completion, requiring me to only have one entity's keyframes to control.

Here's the kicker, There are 2 types of scenario.
Scenario A: All paths terminate simultaneously (most common)
Scenario B: Branch paths continue for a time after the trunk terminates.

I understand the general structure of IF/THEN/ELSE statements, but must be missing something in the AE nomenclature.
Everything I do throws back errors. I know this hast to be fairly simple, i'm just clueless

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Trigger stroke (or trim paths) after certain % of another stroke
on Sep 24, 2016 at 7:41:29 am
Last Edited By Kalleheikki Kannisto on Sep 24, 2016 at 7:42:55 am

I'd recommend an overall slider for the fluid animation completion. Then you can set different trim path end values based on the slider value.

You can use the linear() expression to control when the various animations start and complete. Along these lines (for Trim Paths End value):

linear(pickwhip_slider_here, slider_value_for_start, slider_value_for_end, 0, 100)

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]