FORUMS: list search recent posts

UI Scripting Design Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Landers
UI Scripting Design Question
on May 26, 2016 at 12:02:08 pm

Hello,

I am new to scripting for After Effects but have a lot of experience with other languages and web design. However, the somewhat limited amount of examples in this arena has left me stumped on a design question for my script.

My initial thought was to:

1. Collect some information about the video
2. Grab some premade assets for the final comp
3. Get the footage
4. Slap it all together

I was thinking I could do this with a step by step window approach. The first window would collect the info needed for #1, then based on that choice #2 would be presented and another choice would be made. etc. etc.

However, I am starting to realize this may not be possible. For some reason I can not figure out how to open another window past the initial one. I have my first step complete fine with the window and click doing everything I want but then I am not sure how to get space to display step #2 and hand it off.

I guess I thought I would open a window for #1, close that window, and then open a new window passing on some information. So far I am not able to get a 2nd window to open. Can you open a window from a window? [BTW I really mean palette when I say window... force of habit...]

Another approach I tried was to use the same window, remove all the elements(button, etc.) and then tried to add new elements. However, I do not think this is possible because they might need to be initialized from the beginning?

Any advice from a broad strokes overview kind of way would be helpful. How do folks usually handle multi-step procedures that require more than one input point in After Effects?

Cheers,

Travis

var my_palette = (thisObj instanceof Panel) ? thisObj : new Window("palette", fmc.scriptName+fmc.version, undefined, {resizeable:true});

Return to posts index

Travis Landers
Re: UI Scripting Design Question
on May 27, 2016 at 4:35:47 am

I decided to use the "vertical tabs" approach described on p. 62 of the Beginning ScriptUI reference written by Peter Kahrel.

I noticed some peculiar behavior with my nested tab panels in this scenario but once I switched over to just dropdownlists it worked fine...

This is the best example of how to handle a multi step approach with scripting I have found thus far. Share if you find or know of any others please.

Travis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]