FORUMS: list search recent posts

loopOut the parameter of an effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johan Liebert
loopOut the parameter of an effect
on May 16, 2016 at 11:08:28 pm

I'm exhausted. I've been googling it for hours and couldn't find anything that really helps.
So basically I have a white circle (shape layer) with CC Light Burst 2.5 effect. I use it as some kind of a light source. And all I need to do is to cycle "Ray length" of that light burst effect. So I made one keyframe with "100" Ray Length and another with "150". And I've tried everything from basic "loopOut()" expression to some expressions that are making a loop manually. And nothing works. I mean it does something (when I render the expression to keyframes, I can see that it just creates a keyframe for every frame), but it doesn't loop my keyframes, it does nothing. I'm sorry if it's too obvious, I'm new to expressions.

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: loopOut the parameter of an effect
on May 16, 2016 at 11:28:51 pm

I'm not sure why you would convert the expression to keyframes. Have you looked at the result of the expression in the graph editor? You should see a repeating saw tooth wave. If you do, then the expression is looping your keyframe values.

Dan

Return to posts index

Johan Liebert
on May 16, 2016 at 11:54:53 pm

Yes, I looked in graph editor. And no, I didn't see that the expression works there.
These are my 3 keyframes.

And this is what I expect to see when I convert the expression to keyframes (but I don't)

Isn't it right? I feel like I'm doing something terribly wrong.

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on May 17, 2016 at 12:01:51 am

So you apply the expression, and you don't immediately see that the value is looping?

I still don't understand why you're converting to keyframes unless the expression is too slow.

Please post a screen shot of the graph editor, using the first example--where you have just applied the expression.

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on May 17, 2016 at 12:06:48 am

Are you expecting that when you apply the expression and then convert it to keyframes that you will get a repeating pattern of your original keyframes? If so, that won't happen. Converting an expression to keyframes will create a keyframe at each frame.

Dan

Return to posts index

Johan Liebert
on May 17, 2016 at 12:14:59 am

Oh, I see. I just wanted to convert it to keyframes so I'm able to tweak it a bit at some points, set it to 0 at the end, but well, okay.

Anyway, here is screenshot from graph editor.

I used this expression before and it worked well for position or scale of the composition, but I just can't make it work for the effect parameter.

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on May 17, 2016 at 12:30:07 am

It looks like it is looping, but in the wrong direction. Do you maybe have Time Reverse turned on for that layer? If so, try loopIn()

Dan

Return to posts index

Johan Liebert
on May 17, 2016 at 12:36:09 am

No, I don't have anything like that for this layer. That's strange. Anyway, loopIn worked. Don't know how I could miss that it's looping at the beginning. Thank you so much, Dan. You are my hero today.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]