FORUMS: list search recent posts

Position and Rotation expressions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Chien
Position and Rotation expressions
on Apr 4, 2016 at 5:05:04 pm

Hi everyone,

The idea is to make the lines rotate in relation to the position of the dot...You can see how it actually works on this website: http://material.cmiscm.com/
(The pink on blue one/lines and a dot)
I added a null object and pick whipped all the layers' rotation property to the null object. But it doesn't seem right...I believe there's something wrong with the expression. I also tried adding this expression thisComp.layer("Shape Layer 1").transform.rotation*index to every layer, added a null object and changed to rotation property, but the whole composition just moved...Is there any expression that I should add or is there any way that I can make it happen?\

Thank you guys for your help!

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Position and Rotation expressions
on Apr 4, 2016 at 6:27:50 pm
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Apr 4, 2016 at 6:31:39 pm

Hi Victor,

As far as I can tell from that demo, you'll need to rotate the layers based on how far they are from the null.

That is, calculate the distance and add that to the rotation value.

Basically "length(null's position - layer position)".

You can pick whip those two position values for one layer, then copy the expression to all the other layers.

Return to posts index

Victor Chien
Re: Position and Rotation expressions
on Apr 4, 2016 at 6:43:06 pm

Hi Kalle,

Thanks for your reply! But would you mind giving what a complete expression would look like? And do I put the expression to my line layers and then pick whip to my null object?

Sorry..I am very new to AE expressions...

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]