FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sample text formatting with expression?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Aupperle
Sample text formatting with expression?
on Sep 25, 2015 at 6:38:24 pm

Is there a way to sample the formatting of a block of source text with an expression? I'm using sourceText to make multiple instances of information for a lower third. I don't want to precomp anything if possible to avoid rasterization and because it gets out of hand when versions are duplicated many times, but I still need to generate multiple identical text layers from a single source text layer. I'd love to be able to adjust bold, italics, text color, font, etc. one time in the source layer and be able to reuse it several times within the same comp. Doable? I haven't been able to find any solutions on the Internets...

If I have to concatenate several source layers, that's fine; I just need to force carriage returns at certain points.

Thanks!

Phil

thisComp.layer("Source Text 1 ").text.sourceText + " " + thisComp.layer("Source Text 2").text.sourceText + " " + thisComp.layer("Source Text 3").text.sourceText

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Sample text formatting with expression?
on Sep 25, 2015 at 6:55:32 pm

Expressions don't have access to text formatting info.

You could precomp with continuous rasterization turned on (to solve scaling issues).

Return to posts index

Phil Aupperle
on Sep 25, 2015 at 7:18:41 pm

That's what I thought. Another reason I don't want to precomp is so I can redesign it and have it cascade through the whole hierarchy with out having to use True Comp Duplicator or something to make and replace a zillion nested comps.

I don't have the time to mess with it right now, but I think one way to do it might be to have several text layers stuck together with anchor points that are attached to the end of the previous text layer. It would probably be pretty janky, but I imagine with a free day one could sort it out...

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Sep 25, 2015 at 8:12:59 pm

>Another reason I don't want to precomp is so I can redesign it and have it cascade through the whole hierarchy...

It would, wouldn't it? If there's only one version of the precomp in the project bin, every instance where it's used as a layer in another comp will match the original. Or are you duplicating it in the project bin because each copy is unique in some way?

Dan

Return to posts index

Phil Aupperle
on Sep 25, 2015 at 8:27:50 pm

Well, there would have to be a unique chain of precomps for each lower third. What I'd like to achieve is a single comp that I can just change the text with formatting and not have to duplicate and replace a bunch of nested comps. In this instance, I'm trying to make a lower third that can be either left or right justified, generate the backplate sizes with an expression based on the text length, and have the option of mixing fonts and bolding certain words. The whole thing is hooked up to a spreadsheet with the Templater script. I had wanted to just make a comp that had several controller layers that would make everything else happen, but if I get into precomps I'll have to generate that whole hierarchy for each version, and updates will put me back to square one.

If there were a way to grab the text parameters, it would be dead simple. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]