FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Layer control to select particular layers.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Maloney
Using Layer control to select particular layers.
on Mar 30, 2015 at 3:30:27 pm

Hey there, I'm trying to make a Layer Control box that can switch which layers are visible (say flip the selected layer's opacity from "0" to "100")

I'm also trying to control the layers in a pre-comp, from a master comp.

For example:
I have a Master Comp with a Pre-Comp imbedded. And a Null object (named "Shape Selector") with the layer control.

Inside the Pre-comp, I have the layers I'd like to switch between. ("Circle", "Square", and "Triangle")

Is an expression that lets me switch between the shape layers in the pre-comp, from the Master Comp, even possible?

Thanks very much in advance =D

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Using Layer control to select particular layers.
on Mar 30, 2015 at 4:27:12 pm

The layer control dropdown only lists the layers in the comp with the control, so it wouldn't work across comps.

Dan

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Mar 30, 2015 at 6:05:58 pm

I think the best you could do is maybe use a slider control in the Master Comp and then use an expression like this on the opacity of the shapes in the pre-comp:

if (Math.round(comp("Master Comp").layer("Shape Selector").effect("Slider Control")("Slider")) == index) 100 else 0

Dan

Return to posts index

Justin Maloney
on Mar 31, 2015 at 8:09:53 pm

That could work. But the other animators I'm making this for would be thrown for a loop for with a control like that. It was for a character rig I'm building. I wanted to make it so they could easily select a different hair style, nose style, wardrobe, etc, with drop down boxes. I stuck with check box controls for each option.

thisComp.layer("Hair Styles").effect("Emo Swoosh")("Checkbox") *100

But I'll keep what you showed me in mind for other things =D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]