Variable to toggle a state?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse Mckeon
Variable to toggle a state?
on Feb 24, 2015 at 3:41:39 am
Last Edited By Jesse Mckeon on Feb 24, 2015 at 5:22:02 am

Hi guys,

Been trying to figure this one out but I can't find any reference material that makes sense to me. I am building some 3d transitions for projection mapping on a large runway type stage. Currently, I have 94 different elements that are controlled via expressions to follow a null on the Z axis and also flip on the X with some delay.

I also have figured out how to use two Blend effects, on an imported Illustrator shape, with expressions on the 'Blend with Original' properties to read the rotationX value and change from the A look to the B look, this works great. Here is that script:

if(rotationX < 90) { 0 } else { 100 } //for side A

if(rotationX < 90) { 100 } else { 0} //for side B

What I need some help with is figuring out how to set this property to a toggle that is tied to the Z position value, position[2]. Let me explain, starting Z value is 0. As the object comes toward the camera it's Z value changes to a maximum of 600 and then returns to 0. I need to have the value of 600 set some sort of toggle to stay on, a value of 100, and hold until it comes back to 600 at which point the toggle would then set itself to a value of 0.

This is just to control the Blend with Original property of one or two blend layers. The final result would be the object reaching the peak of its Z movement, 600, and doing a hard cut from A to B and then settling back to the Z value of 0 while holding on the B look.

Currently, I can get the B look to pop in for a range >= 600 but it returns to the A look once it falls below.

I am trying to use expressions for this because I will have hundreds of objects to animate like this and I don't want to use 1000's of layers or keyframes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]