FORUMS: list search recent posts

Parenting a null to a vector point on an animated shape layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Hegge
Parenting a null to a vector point on an animated shape layer
on Sep 5, 2014 at 5:47:05 pm

Hey guys, so I suspect this can be done using expressions but I'm a bit unsure on how to effectively do it. Specifically what I'd like to do would be to parent a null's anchor point to a specific vector point within shape's path. Would fiddling around with VectorMath expressions plus maybe 'CompTo' or something like that be a step in the right direction?

Thanks guys

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Parenting a null to a vector point on an animated shape layer
on Sep 5, 2014 at 6:53:01 pm

Is the path animated? If so, the only thing I can think of is to use a script to go into your animation and read the vertex information for each frame and apply it to your null.

If the path is not animated, you could paste the path into the position property of a null and possibly use valueAtTime() to get the value you want.

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of options.

Dan

Return to posts index

Kyle Hegge
Re: Parenting a null to a vector point on an animated shape layer
on Sep 5, 2014 at 7:00:12 pm

Yeah unfortunately its a rectilinear shape that animate outward overtime. I had hoped that since AE has functions like "Set First Vertex" that consequently there must be a function within the expression engine that can single out vector points and then I could further utilize that information to somehow parent a null to it.

Regardless, this was one of those instances where I was just trying to make something a lot harder than it should be :) I ended up hand-animating the null as close to the vector point as i could :)

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]