FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing expression values based on time

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Johnson
Changing expression values based on time
on Jul 21, 2014 at 10:21:39 pm

Hello,

Long time troller, first-time post. I recently started learning about expressions and I've run into a brick wall when it comes to changing the values of an expression based on where the player head is in the timeline. Currently I am currently trying to hack the "inertial bounce" script so that I can change specific values (amp, freq, decay) during the movie. Here's the basic sequence:

1. Movie starts at t=0, nothing on stage
2. At t=5, a shape layer animates into the viewport from the bottom. I've set the inertial bounce script to have a lot of bounce, and it works fine
3. At t=45, I want the same shape layer to animate it's position to the right about 100px. However, I don't want it to have the same amount of bounce as in step 2

It looks like I can only assign one expression per shape, so I need to add some logic that basically says, "If time is less than 45, make the bounce big. If time is greater than 45, don't have any bounce."

I tried to use a simple if/else to change the "amp" value, but I don't notice any difference (see below). Note that I'm hoping to change the value at multiple times during the movie, for instance it would be great if I could change the "amp" value 3-4 times during the course of the movie, not just once. Apologies if this is just a simple coding error, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Here's where I got the original script:
http://www.graymachine.com/blog/my-top-expressions

if (time &lt; 40) {
amp = .05;
}

else if (time > 40) {
amp = 1.0;
}

else {
amp = 0.05;
}

freq = 2.0;
decay = 7.0;
n = 0;
if (numKeys > 0){
n = nearestKey(time).index;
if (key(n).time > time){
n--;
}}
if (n == 0){ t = 0;
}else{
t = time - key(n).time;
}
if (n > 0 && t &lt; 1){
v = velocityAtTime(key(n).time - thisComp.frameDuration/10);
value + v*amp*Math.sin(freq*t*2*Math.PI)/Math.exp(decay*t);
}else{
value
}

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Changing expression values based on time
on Jul 22, 2014 at 1:23:22 am

Please don't be offended, but I just want to make sure you understand that your t values represent seconds, not frames. Is that what you intended (i.e. the second amplitude value kicks in at 40 seconds)?

Dan

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Jul 22, 2014 at 2:59:05 am

One other thing I should add, is if the reason you want to change the amplitude is to make overshoot better match a change in keyframed velocity, you should consider this version that will automatically match the overshoot to the incoming velocity:

http://www.motionscript.com/articles/bounce-and-overshoot.html#kf-overshoot

Dan

Return to posts index

Michael Johnson
on Jul 22, 2014 at 4:17:39 pm

Hi Dan,

Not offended, don't worry :) Thank you for pointing that out, for some reason I missed that basic aspect of time. I updated the time values and the function now behaves how I originally described. You're the best.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]