FORUMS: list search recent posts

Batch change parent layer name to a different one

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcin Staszewski
Batch change parent layer name to a different one
on Jul 2, 2014 at 12:34:52 pm

Hi!
I have multiple properties of my Element layer parented to a 3D null. I duplicated the Element layer and wanted to parent it quickly to another null. Seems like a very basic task but I started to wonder if there's any easier way than manually changing parent layer name in every expression in my layer (or dragging the pickwhip which is even worse in this case).
Best solution that comes to my mind is some sort of batch rename script that changes a specific phrase into another one...?

Return to posts index

George Goodman
Re: Batch change parent layer name to a different one
on Jul 2, 2014 at 1:45:05 pm

Interesting idea. Sorry to say I haven't heard of one, maybe someone else has though.

This goes along the lines of something I've requested a couple of times, that, if you feel so inclined, could also :)

I really want an expression null that each layer evaluates independently. You could just parent layers to it and they would all read it as if it were on their own layer. This way, if it was wiggle, they wouldn't all move the same way, or if it was referenced a layers index, they would act appropriately. I don't know the full extent of your situation, but hypothetically you could update one expression and it would all be fixed (or maybe 3 expressions since you said it was for multiple properties - assuming they don't all have different variables).

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

http://www.vimeo.com/georgegoodman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/georgefranklingoodman

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jul 2, 2014 at 9:06:50 pm

this may work for you...

add a layer control effect to the Element layer, then link your expressions to the layer control rather than the actual layer that you want them to use.

then you can select which layer to use ans the expression 'parent' from the layer control. if you duplicate that Element layer, you can use the layer control to select a new 'parent'

ex: add a layer control effect to a layer, then add this expression to the position property of that layer:
target = effect("Layer Control")("Layer");
target.position

if you set the layer control 'layer' property to another layer in you comp the layer swill take that selected layer's position property.... select a different layer from the list box and it will take that layer's position.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Marcin Staszewski
on Jul 14, 2014 at 4:17:46 pm

Thanks a lot!
It worked exactly as you described! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved