FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoothness expression for a countdown?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Lee
Smoothness expression for a countdown?
on May 21, 2014 at 7:30:26 pm

Hi all! I recently was tasked with creating a countdown that moves every 5 digits instead of every 1. So I parented a slider control effect to the source text parameter of a text layer with the following expression on the slider:

Math.round(value/5)*5

This worked perfectly, however I would like to control how the numbers change between one another. Instead of the numbers simply disappearing and appearing, I would like them to cross dissolve into one another. So if the number 5 changes to 10, i would like the 5 to fade out as the 10 fades in on top of it. The effect i'm looking for is similar to the 'smoothness' parameter in the 'range selector' modifier on text layers.

Is there an expression that I can add to achieve this?

thanks!

Brian

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Smoothness expression for a countdown?
on May 21, 2014 at 7:55:52 pm

I think you'd have to do it with two layers. The top layer would be one count ahead of the bottom layer. When the count changes, the top layer fades up from 0 and the bottom layer fades from 100 to 0. I haven't tried it, but it seems like it should work.

Dan

Return to posts index

Brian Lee
on May 21, 2014 at 9:00:13 pm

Hmm its not quite achieving the look I'm going for because doing it this way looks pretty messy until either layer is fully at 100% opacity. The numbers look jumbled. Could there be some kind of time delay expression or would there possibly be a different way of counting up in increments that would allow me to have control over the smoothness of how the text is appearing?

Brian

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on May 21, 2014 at 9:58:04 pm

What do you have so far?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]