FORUMS: list search recent posts

Update multiple expressions using one master expression? Or a text layer that contains the expression text?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Headrick
Update multiple expressions using one master expression? Or a text layer that contains the expression text?
on May 1, 2014 at 3:16:56 pm

Hope I can phrase this in a way that makes sense. I'm using one of Dan Ebbert's overshoot expressions to add a subtle overshoot/swing to text layers that are rotating into place. I have lots and lots of text layers, and I want them all to have the same motion. However, if I were to decide later that I want more or less overshoot, or wanted to tweak the motion in any way, I would have to manually copy and paste the updated expression into the rotation property for each individual layer... lots of manual work.

Is there a way to tell a property to use an expression that's located elsewhere as its own expression? For example, what I tried and failed to do was to write the expression in a text layer, and then use the Source Text property of that text layer as the expression on my rotation. That doesn't work, but something tells me maybe there's a way to do something similar? I just want to be able to update a single instance of my expression and have all the other instances mimic it without having to manually replace them. Make sense at all?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Update multiple expressions using one master expression? Or a text layer that contains the expression text?
on May 1, 2014 at 5:46:50 pm

You can execute an expression saved in the source text of a text layer, like this:

eval(thisComp.layer("expression text").text.sourceText.value)

However, it's not particularly efficient. As an alternative, I would look at tying the expression's parameters (frequency, amplitude, etc.) to master controls on a control null.

Dan

Return to posts index

Robert Headrick
Re: Update multiple expressions using one master expression? Or a text layer that contains the expression text?
on May 1, 2014 at 6:24:09 pm

Thanks Dan! Your first point is exactly what I was looking for, and your second point is even better. :-)

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on May 1, 2014 at 6:23:07 pm

That's a feature request I've submitted a few times. You should do the same:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

http://www.vimeo.com/georgegoodman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/georgefranklingoodman

Return to posts index

Chris Gosling
on May 27, 2014 at 11:57:41 am

Had the same problem and I ended up buying pt_ExpressEdit 2 from the aescripts.com website. Makes the process of dealing with multiple expression layers easy.

I am not the developer, just a big fan.

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]