COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Luyt
Wiggle expression messes up my Particle World path
on Oct 26, 2013 at 1:43:08 pm

Dear community,

I have the following layers:

• big .jpeg file, where after some time the camera moves up

• camera, parented by a null object which controls the XY movement so my jpeg does not distort

• the null object non 3D controlling the camera

• blue solid with particle world on it, combined with a null object to get the 3D particular effect

• and a wiggle slider

• The slider controls the wiggle I have added to the Null object which controls the camera movement. However, when I try to wiggle with it (hehe) my Particle World / Particular Effect gets all messed up and the path it is following stutters around.

Adding the wiggle effect to the camera obviously does not work as it is controlled by the null object which is in 2D. Could anybody help me?

wiggle(thisComp.layer("wiggle slider").effect("wiggle(x) control")("Slider"),thisComp.layer("wiggle slider").effect("wiggle(y) control")("Slider"))

wiggle expression

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
    Re: Wiggle expression messes up my Particle World path
    on Oct 28, 2013 at 1:58:09 pm

[Robert Luyt] "Adding the wiggle effect to the camera obviously does not work as it is controlled by the null object which is in 2D. Could anybody help me?"

You can still apply the wiggle to the camera. A few notes though. In general I'd recommend parenting 3D layers (like a camera) to a 3D layer rather than a 2D layer (use a 3D null instead of a 2D null). If you want the wiggle() to only work on 2 axes then there are other ways of achieving that:

frequency = 3;
    amplitude = 5;
    w = wiggle(frequency, amplitude) - value;
    [w[0], w[1], 0] + value;

The above should only wiggle on the x and y axes of the object.

Also I see that you've attached the wiggle expression to some sliders named wiggle(x) control and wiggle(y) control. I just wanted to make sure that you know that the first parameter (where you have wiggle(x)) controls the frequency of the wiggle and the second parameter (wiggle(y)) controls the amplitude. The wiggle will have the same amplitude on both the x and y axes unless you modify them independently.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]