FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quotation Marks in a String

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Dernlan
Quotation Marks in a String
on Aug 19, 2013 at 11:22:39 pm

Time for my first post, after years of browsing for answers. Let's dive in.

I'm parsing through text and turning each character into a number value on a slider (this is a small part of a very large portion of code, but that at least provides context), and I'm running into trouble matching " and ' this way. I've tried to separate it by adding the backslash (\), but to no avail. Simply triple quoting (""") returns an error and disables the expression. I can single double single (' " '), which does not return an error, but also doesn't match.

So, does anyone know what I'm missing here? I figured those two would give me trouble as they are special characters.

Thanks, for helping me here and many years before, even though you didn't know it.

textVal = thisComp.layer("Evaluate").text.sourceText;
slideVal = effect("Chicklet_Value")("Slider");
textLength = thisComp.layer("Type Words").text.sourceText.length;
offsetVal = Math.floor(linear(time, 0, (timeSlider+.5), 0, textLength))

if (offsetVal == textLength){
slideVal = 0}
else if (textVal == "a"){
slideVal = 1}
else if(textVal == "b"){
slideVal = 2}
else if(textVal == "c"){
slideVal = 3}
else if(textVal == """){
slideVal = 47}
else{
slideVal = 0}

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Quotation Marks in a String
on Aug 20, 2013 at 12:30:50 am

The single-double-single should work if your text actually contains the double quote character. For example, if you apply this to a slider, you'll get 3, as expected:

myStr = 'abc"def';
myStr.indexOf('"')

Dan

Return to posts index

Matt Dernlan
on Aug 20, 2013 at 12:54:25 am

Hmm... when I do that, I don't receive an error, but my output is 0, which is the final "else" in my if/else statement. It's as if it's recognizing that it's valid, but not returning the correct value.

I should add that it is comparing to literally one character at a time. So it is looking at just a set of quotation marks, or just one letter, so there shouldn't be much room for error. I'm doing this using offset and pointing a variable to a layer's source text that is displaying just the one letter at a time.

I could copy all the code in here, but I have lots of layers involved that depend on each other, so I thought it would be easier to understand by breaking it down to basics. If you need more information please let me know.

Matt

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Aug 20, 2013 at 1:49:10 am

Is it possible a curly quote snuck in there? Can you paste in (here) the string you're trying to parse?

Dan

Return to posts index

Matt Dernlan
on Aug 20, 2013 at 4:40:24 pm

Sure, sorry about the delay.

Also, sorry about the string..... it's for testing purposes, and you know how you can go a little crazy 40 lines in...

------
abc, 123, ba”aaaby :) you and me gurl!
------

Just copied and pasted that straight out of the text layer in AE.

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Aug 20, 2013 at 5:29:24 pm

That appears to be a right curly quote (”), so it won't match a straight double quote (").

Dan

Return to posts index

Matt Dernlan
on Aug 20, 2013 at 5:37:52 pm

Well I am clearly out of my depth here with curly vs straight. So in my expressions, I'm using all straight quotes, but I need to match back to curly somehow? The ideal would be to be able to match to curly, since that is apparently the default, so if someone types a quote into that layer, it would match back without special formatting needed.

Or would there be a way to automatically change the quotes to straight? I'm already changing everything to lowercase at the moment just for matching purposes.

I'll do a little googling but curly vs straight is never something I've run into.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]