FORUMS: list search recent posts

Windy motion?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rachel Gold
Windy motion?
on Jul 2, 2013 at 1:10:45 pm

Hi all,
I'm totally new to expressions and I'm trying to create a very gentle motion of flowers blowing in the wind. I've started with the basic wiggle(1, 1); but it's a bit too monotonous and I can't control the direction of the swingings. What should I add in order for it to look as realistic as possible? Any ideas?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Windy motion?
on Jul 2, 2013 at 3:02:14 pm

It's hard to know exactly what would look convincing in your set up, but you might want to play around with noise(). Assuming your flowers are distributed left-to-right across the comp, try this for rotation and see if it gives you any ideas:

distCompress = 200;
speedCompress = 1;
maxRotation = 15;

x = transform.position[0];
5 + maxRotation*noise([x/distCompress,time/speedCompress]);

It should give you a breeze from the left. Increase distCompress to get less variance between neighboring flowers, increase speedCompress to slow things down. If you have a 3D field of flowers, noise() will take an additional parameter, so you could do something like this:

distCompress = 200;
speedCompress = 1;
maxRotation = 15;

x = transform.position[0];
z = transfrom.position[2];
5 + maxRotation*noise([x/distCompress,z/distCompres,time/speedCompress]);

Dan

Return to posts index

Rachel Gold
on Jul 3, 2013 at 9:45:22 am

Thank you Dan! It's working like magic!
I have flowers organized in a way that resembles an arch of flowers so I need various movement directions. Is it possible to control the direction of the motion and create an up-and-down movement, for example?

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Jul 3, 2013 at 2:33:23 pm

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but this might help:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/ebberts_dan/noise.php

Dan

Return to posts index

Rachel Gold
on Jul 4, 2013 at 12:37:48 pm

Sorry for my English, I'll try to articulate myself better:
The expression you gave me in your first reply made the flowers move in diagonally right-up. I was wondering how to make the flower move in different directions. I've attached jpg with marking of the current motion direction and other optional directions.
Thanks for your patience.

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Jul 4, 2013 at 4:55:10 pm

Sorry, I misunderstood how you have it set up. The expression I posted was for rotation. I assumed you had the flowers attached to stems with anchor points where they attach to the ground and you wanted the stems to sway in the breeze. I'm not sure if a noise() expression would still be useful to you.

Dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]