FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trigger sound effects with layer markers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Aquino
Trigger sound effects with layer markers
on May 23, 2013 at 5:39:53 am

Hi,

I found this nice tutorial and preset in AEtuts+ about triggering sounds using layer markers.

http://ae.tutsplus.com/tutorials/workflow/trigger-sounds-and-animations-by-...

It works for the most part except that it adds a bit of unwanted audio pop at the start of each sound effect.

The first instance of the marker in the layer works perfectly fine but on succeeding ones there is a noticeable pop sound just before the sound effect plays again.

I tried precomposing the sound effect and even trimming it's in and out points just to ensure that the starting and ending frames of the precomp are complete silence but the pop sound is still there.

Would appreciate your help to address this.

Thanks!

Charlie

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Trigger sound effects with layer markers
on May 23, 2013 at 6:32:54 pm

When you have audio pops in any software, the best thing to do is to animate the audio levels from 0 to the desired volume over a very brief time (even just over a frame).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on May 23, 2013 at 8:47:02 pm

It was explained to me that the chirp you hear is actually the audio playing backwards over a 1-frame period when you reset the time remapping value. You can try adding a 1-frame squelch (set audio levels to -192db) during the frame before each marker (not necessary for the first marker). I've had limited success with this method and it doesn't seem well-suited for percusive sounds, because the squelch seems to bleed into the frame of the marker and kind of muffles the attack, but it might work for you.

Dan

Return to posts index

Charlie Aquino
on May 25, 2013 at 6:24:44 am

Thanks Todd and Dan.

I have managed to find a solution based on the tip you gave and did a bit of modification on the expressions being used.

I applied this expression to the TimeRemap.

len = thisLayer.source.duration;
if(marker.numKeys > 0){
m = marker.nearestKey(time).index;
if(marker.key(m).time > time) m--;
if(m > 0){
mt = marker.key(m).time;
if(time < mt+len){
linear(time, mt, mt+len, 0, len);
}else 0
}else 0
} else value;

And this similar but bit of a modified expression to the Audio Level

len = thisLayer.source.duration - framesToTime(1, fps = 1.0/thisComp.frameDuration);
if(marker.numKeys > 0){
m = marker.nearestKey(time).index;
if(marker.key(m).time > time) m--;
if(m > 0){
mt = marker.key(m).time;
if(time < mt+len){
value;
}else [-48, -48];
}else value;
} else value;

The pop is still there but barely audible. I think it will be totally gone had I realized that the audio levels can be brought down even lower than -48dB.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Tobias Beuving
on Oct 28, 2015 at 12:26:22 pm

Thanks Charlie, same here with the audible click at the end of the sample, I used your modified expression for the audiolevel and now it only occurs 2% of the time, which is acceptable to me :-)
Cheers T

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]