FORUMS: list search recent posts

Offset motion path perpendicular to direction of travel

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
boob weisz
Offset motion path perpendicular to direction of travel
on May 1, 2013 at 7:05:20 pm

I'm creating a comp described here, but basically i have camera moving along a very twisty-and-turny motion path ("main track") and I'd like to have repeating elements flanking either side of the main track, so they whizz by the camera as it moves.

Right now I have a slider offsetting the right flank path and left flank path a certain amount along the x-axis. This works fine when the camera is pointing down the z-axis, but not when it takes a right or left turn. In this case I'd like the flanks to offset along the z-axis. It would also be great for the flank paths to curve while making the turns. In other words, I'd like the flanks to always be offset from the main track perpendicular to its direction of travel.

I have some ideas of how to do this mathematically but am too much of an expressions noob to figure out how to implement them. Any help would be much appreciated!

Return to posts index

boob weisz
Re: Offset motion path perpendicular to direction of travel
on May 2, 2013 at 5:14:02 pm

Ah, apparently I just need to post to Creative Cow and I'll think of a solution a day later.

Instead of having a right flank and a left flank, I just precomped the right element and left element together (they are mirror images of eachother), and repeated that precomp along my track. Since I already figured out the auto-orienting issue, this new double-flank precomp automatically facing the correct direction along the track, as well as being appropriately spaced away from it.

Thanks for putting up with my noobiness!

Return to posts index

Greg Neumayer
Re: Offset motion path perpendicular to direction of travel
on May 3, 2013 at 7:49:44 pm

Thanks for coming back to post your solution! It's nice to have complete issues/solutions for searching.

Antifreeze Design
http://www.antifreezedesign.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]