FORUMS: list search recent posts

Expression causing 'out of memory' crash

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Guy Slator
Expression causing 'out of memory' crash
on Feb 11, 2013 at 6:45:06 pm

Hi,
I'm afraid I'm going to be a bit lazy and paste a couple of comments I left in the main after effects forum, rather than try and explain again.

Basically I'm having the problem as described below and initially figured it was a hardware issue, but 2 other people tested the same expression one (using the same OS) suffered the same crash and the other didn't (don't know what OS yet).

The expression is just part of an exercise from a basic book on expressions, so is not vitally important to anything, but I was wondering if anyone had had a similar issue and if it's something I'm likely to keep running into.

POST 1

I'm having a problem with after effects crashing while performing a relatively simple task.

I've tended to use expressions created by others, but have decided to start from scratch and learn for myself. I've bought a fairly basic book and I've got to this expression:

var xPosition = transform.xRotation;
var yPosition = transform.yRotation;
var zPosition = transform.zRotation;
[xPosition, yPosition, zPosition]

so just linking the position of a 3D shape layer to its rotation, but it immediately crashes with a number of different messages:

• After Effects: Out of memory (1150642K requested) (23::40)
  • after effects error: crash in progress. last logged message was <2188> <2> making new context
  • last logged message was <2524> <5> C:Program FilesAdobeAdobe Premiere Pro CS6Adobe Premiere Pro.exe
  • the instruction at 0x76d832d0 referenced memory at 0x757405a8. The memory could not be read.

Considering only yesterday I was creating 3D shapes and text using an expression and 40+ layers to build up the effect and then applying lights and a tracking camera, you'd figure it could probably manage the above.

I've tried it with very basic shapes and the problem persists. I've been through and made adjustments to the preferences one at a time, checked my software is updated and have updated my graphic's card driver. I've also run Memtest which was fine, I've been through and shut off anything running in the background (software for keyboard and mouse settings, pen and tablet software etc.), I've defragmented my hard drive and set the virtual memory higher and set most of it to the new partition, I've switched between basic and aero themes on the Windows desktop as I saw that mentioned a couple of times. So I'm not sure what to try next.

I'm using:

After Effects CS6
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Service Pack 1
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300
8GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti (2GB)

I appreciate it's not the most powerful rig, but I've been using after effects for a few months now and it's managed plenty of fairly complex jobs. I'm a bit confused as to why this is throwing up a problem.

POST 2

Multiprocessing is off, I've been through the relevant preferences and tried testing them one at a time. Having checked everything in terms of hardware at my end I'm beginning to think it's a bug.

The problem only occurs when I link 3 dimensions on the same layer, as in the example I posted above which just links the position dimensions to the rotation dimensions on the same 3D layer.

I've been testing with basic shapes or text and can achieve the same effect by linking the 3 position dimensions to the rotation dimensions of a duplicate layer, but I then also have to link the position of one layer to the other and the same with the rotation, which means using 5 separate expressions on 2 layers, to do the job of one expression on a single layer.

Seems to me if it can do it on 2 layers, it shouldn't be a problem on 1 and as I say I'm only using very basic shapes and text.

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Expression causing 'out of memory' crash
on Feb 11, 2013 at 7:16:40 pm

I'm guessing your variable names are reserved words. Try it this way:

var xPos = transform.xRotation;
var yPos = transform.yRotation;
var zPos = transform.zRotation;
[xPos, yPos, zPos]

Dan

Return to posts index

Guy Slator
on Feb 11, 2013 at 7:33:11 pm

No, I gave it a go, but normally it gives a direct warning about reserved words, rather than completely crashing with memory errors??

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Feb 11, 2013 at 8:19:21 pm

I think you're right. It appears to be a pretty nasty bug. I'd let them know:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Dan

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 13, 2013 at 12:05:52 am

Thanks for the bug report. We've reproduced the crash. We're working on a fix.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Justin Berrington
on Feb 14, 2014 at 8:47:15 am

I just had this same error. Weird thing is this is the second time I've been through the beginning of this book while using CS6 and I don't remember that happening the first time. Happens this way too...

[transform.xRotation, transform.yRotation, transform.zRotation]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]