FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shape layer grid random sizes animated

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Jantzen
Shape layer grid random sizes animated
on Jan 31, 2013 at 6:19:33 pm

I have this idea of a grid of squares (can actually be an rectangular shape) that fills the whole screen with no holes between shapes. The grid animates, but here's the trick, each square is changing sizes randomly so every adjacent square needs to resize accordingly. I was thinking a shape layer would be most realistic since you can control the shape size and position parameters, and for my purposes, color too.

My first guess is that every "Shape" in the shape layer will have to be connected to each other via expression so they can interact with each other. If that's the case, I have a feeling this will be more work than it's worth. If any of the smarties thinks this is doable, I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thanks :)

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Shape layer grid random sizes animated
on Feb 2, 2013 at 4:31:55 am

I think your instincts are correct. It would be difficult to do with expressions because each layer potentially affects all other layers.

Dan

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
Re: Shape layer grid random sizes animated
on Feb 2, 2013 at 4:48:28 am

it's kind of intriguing my brain now. how would you do something this, then? I mean you can resize a panel in AE and the other panels resize to fit like it's magic, but in reality we've all come to take it for granted.

not that I want to fry your brain over this, but it does seem like there has to be a way to make adjacent shapes interact with each other. I think it would make a cool background animation (what I wanted to use it for on this current project).

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]