FORUMS: list search recent posts

Expression to realistically drop flat object, bounce of floor in z axis

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Boknecht
Expression to realistically drop flat object, bounce of floor in z axis
on Jan 28, 2013 at 9:12:26 pm

The effect I'm trying to achieve would simulate pointing a camera at the ground, then dropping a flat object onto the ground with one corner hitting the ground first and the resulting bouncing around as the object settles. So the object, say a logo, would "fall" in z space - then one corner would hit the floor, forcing the next one and so forth.

I've searched around and can't find any expression that emulates this. Any ideas?

Tim Boknecht
Media Producer
Bravo Productions

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Expression to realistically drop flat object, bounce of floor in z axis
on Jan 28, 2013 at 9:24:14 pm

That's a pretty complicated physics simulation for an expression. It would probably be quicker to fake it with keyframes. Better yet, use the Newton plugin (I'm guessing--I don't have it).

Dan

Return to posts index

Tim Boknecht
on Jan 28, 2013 at 9:44:40 pm

Thanks, Dan The Expressions Man. I checked it out - apparently it's just for 2D physics, but WOW!

I'm guessing the best solution might be to set up a camera, drop a flat object with markers on the corners and use them for tracking data.

Appreciate your time!
TB

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Jan 31, 2013 at 6:31:42 pm

I use Newton all the time. I was trying to think of a way to animate the corners of a flat graphic using newton for physics, but in reality you should really be doing this with a 3D package. Dan's right about the physics. AE just doesn't do 3D physics...yet. You can animate 2D physics with Newton and then turn on the 3D switch. Other than that you're left with hand animation, which with some finesse, will look a lot better IMO unless you can render your animation with a 3D package like Cinema 4D.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]