FORUMS: list search recent posts

changing content of composition with sliders

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pingo Brinkloev
changing content of composition with sliders
on Nov 23, 2012 at 11:37:35 am

I'm trying to create a flip-book effect. I have one (tricky) "page" composition with animated page flip and numerous content (a movie with stills). I can control the content with freeze frame, linked to a slider.

I can also put the "page" comp in another comp and control the content from there with a link, no problem.

But I need to use multiple variations of this composition. As soon as I make a new "page", the expression only works on the top layer.. (of course)

Any way to crack this?

- without making 1000 different pages :)

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: changing content of composition with sliders
on Nov 23, 2012 at 4:52:59 pm

What is the expression that you are using?

Dan

Return to posts index

Pingo Brinkloev
on Nov 24, 2012 at 8:27:36 am

Here. Pretty straight forward I guess.

This is the expression on the slider effect on the master composition.

the slider is controlling a freeze frame using time remap.

I whish I could attach a screendump here.

comp("book").layer("page").effect("Slider Control")("Slider")*0.01

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Nov 24, 2012 at 5:07:24 pm

I'm still not sure I completely understand what you're trying to do, but it might be that you need to change your expression to this:

comp("book").layer(thisComp.name).effect("Slider Control")("Slider")*0.01

That's if you're creating new copies of the page comp (in the project bin). If you're just duplicating the comp layer and creating instances, it won't work.

Dan

Return to posts index

Pingo Brinkloev
on Nov 25, 2012 at 11:00:52 am

Yeah, I wanted to avoid making copies of the book comp. But this will still save me the trouble of changing all the expressions in case I end up doing it this way. So thanks for that!

Return to posts index

Dan Borufka
on Nov 28, 2012 at 5:07:56 am

Pingo, why not add another expression control on your book comp to select and animate the index of the layer/page that should be used?

That way, you could animate a slider (let's call this one "pageIndex") and integrate that to your expression.

var pageIndex = Math.round(comp("book").effect("pageIndex")("Slider").value);
comp("book").layer(pageIndex).effect("Slider Control")("Slider")*0.01;

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Nov 24, 2012 at 10:34:33 pm

It sounds like you're using a freeze frame in the child composition to determine the frame being shown in the parent composition. If that's the case then you're stuck. What I'd recommend instead is allowing your child composition to play through each frame, apply time-remapping in the parent composition and use your slider expression there.

Each instance of the child composition can be remapped independently this way, where as with the remapping/freeze frame in the child composition you'd need a separate instance for each frame (which doesn't help you any).

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Pingo Brinkloev
on Nov 25, 2012 at 11:04:53 am

Darby, that's exactly what I'm trying to do. And yes, I'm stuck. Unfortunately I have an animation of the page flipping, and it's the "content" of the book I want to change, so to speak. so I can't just freeze it all. I wanted to keep it as simple as possible, but I might have to split the page into two comps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]