FORUMS: list search recent posts

Parenting position properties of puppet points while retaining relative positioning (similar to the way layer parenting works)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alex ezorsky
Parenting position properties of puppet points while retaining relative positioning (similar to the way layer parenting works)
on Nov 5, 2012 at 6:09:58 pm

I have motion tracked myself dancing. I have a different null layer for each point (head, neck, shoulder, elbow etc.)

I have a layer that is an image of a horse in a human looking position. It is puppet tooled with the same points on its body as the points I tracked on mine. I want him to dance like me.

I could just alt-click the position properties of each puppet point and parent them to the position properties of the nulls, but that will make the points exist exactly where the points were on me. But the horse has slightly different proportions than I do. For example a horses ankle is way up high.

I want the puppet points to move relative to the nulls but retain the ability to change that relative position the same way you can when parenting a layer to another layer (but cannot when parenting a property).

I feel like the solution is on the tip of my tongue but can't get it.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Parenting position properties of puppet points while retaining relative positioning (similar to the way layer parenting works)
on Nov 5, 2012 at 6:34:47 pm

I think this should work. There may be some cases I haven't considered but give it a shot and let me know how it goes:

l = thisComp.layer("Null 3");
p = l.fromComp(toComp(value), inPoint);
l.toComp(p);

This would be applied to the puppet pin position. The variable 'l' should point to the null object that should be associated with that pin.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Parenting position properties of puppet points while retaining relative positioning (similar to the way layer parenting works)
on Nov 5, 2012 at 6:38:27 pm

Something like this should work:

p = thisComp.layer("Null 1").transform.position;
value + p - p.valueAtTime(0)

Or, if the null is parented, like this:

n = thisComp.layer("Null 1");
value + n.toComp([0,0,0]) - n.toComp([0,0,0],0)

In either case, nothing will happened unless the null has been animated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]