FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to connect letters to composition

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
artem ludyankov
how to connect letters to composition
on Aug 8, 2012 at 10:42:59 pm

Hello guys,
I need your help. I have an idea for one project where I have to create some kind of template.
I have prerendered 3d letters and I wanna link them to simple text. So for example if you type in one composition each letter in this text has to be replaced by appropriate footage or composition with prerendered 3d letter.
Is it possible to do it? Any ideas would be really appreciated.
Thanks

My Portfolio

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: how to connect letters to composition
on Aug 9, 2012 at 12:37:44 am

From what you've described, I'd do it with a script that would prompt you for the folder of 3D letters and would pull in the appropriate letters to make up the text contained in the selected text layer. Of course there are a lot of other details to take care of, depending on the final result you want, but it should be feasible.

Dan

Return to posts index

artem ludyankov
on Aug 9, 2012 at 10:37:20 am

Thank you Dan,
Unfortunately I'm really bad with scripting. I could write some simple expression, but scripting it's quite difficult for me.
Is there any way to make it using just expression and AE tools.
For example can I link one letter in text source to one layer in this composition? Or something like this.
Thank you very much anyway. Really apreciate your help.

My Portfolio

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Aug 9, 2012 at 2:12:55 pm

I think the closest you could come would be to have a comp with all the letters stacked on top of each other. You'd need a copy of this comp for each letter position in your source text. The layer names would be the same as the letter (layers "A", "B", etc.). You would name the comps based on their position in the text string, so, for example, comp "Letter_0" would correspond to the first letter, "Letter_1" to the second, and so on. The letter layers inside these comps would each have an opacity expression that would retrieve the source text letter corresponding to letter position of that comp. If the letter matches the layer name, 100% opacity else 0%. Something like that.

That could work, but you wouldn't have any repositioning of the letters based on proportional spacing--your 3D letters would in effect create a mono-spaced font.

It would be a pretty ambitious application of expressions, but I think it could work.

Dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]