FORUMS: list search recent posts

pixel bender question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Gomez
pixel bender question
on Jul 25, 2012 at 1:14:08 pm

A while ago i made a script for personnal use that required a bunch of parameters, which i grouped into a "pseudo-effect" (by editing the PresetEffects.xml file). It works but is not very satisfying since i can hardly share it now.
I heard it is possible to do it in a cleaner way with Pixel Bender but i cant find any way in PB to group parameters like in the xml file and i get an awful long and clumsy list of sliders.
Is it possible to sort sliders in Pixel Bender?

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: pixel bender question
on Jul 25, 2012 at 4:13:24 pm

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. PB lets you group controls together as they would be in a single effect. The bad news is that PB support was dropped for AE CS6, so it's kind of a dead end.

Dan

Return to posts index

Xavier Gomez
on Jul 25, 2012 at 5:51:50 pm

I mean group of sliders inside a given effect (for instance there is is group called "Transform" and inside this group there are many sliders, another group called "Material Options" with several sliders and so on..., all of these groups inside the same effect).

I'm using CS5.5, i can still use Pixel Bender. But if you think PB is not a good solution, do you have any idea of how i could make some kind of "pseudo effect" that organizes expressions controls (sliders, boxes, dropdownmenus, etc) into groups, with the correct names, and referentiable in a script ?

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Jul 25, 2012 at 6:33:22 pm

The nuclear option would be to create a null plugin that just defines controls (and passes the input image directly to the output). It takes a fair amount of effort to crack the plugin SDK for the first time though. Other than that, I don't have any suggestions.

Dan

Return to posts index

Xavier Gomez
on Jul 25, 2012 at 8:40:15 pm

Well, i just downloaded SDK and its guide. Will see. Hopefully creating a void plug-in is not that hard !

Thank you for your answers.

Return to posts index

Dan Fredley
on Jul 26, 2012 at 4:06:06 pm

You can still share the "pseudo effect" by saving it out as an animation preset (.ffx). When the shared user applies the preset it will say "missing" next to the name, but it's not a big deal--it will still work as expected.

If they want to get rid of the word "missing" to have a cleaner interface, then include a ReadMe file with instructions on how to add it to the .xml file manually.

I've shared "pseudo effects" this way before.

Return to posts index

Xavier Gomez
on Jul 27, 2012 at 6:57:49 pm

May i ask then how you save the xml bit as a .ffx file ?

Never done that before.

By the way i started reading the DSK guide... WHAT A PAIN !@%!

Return to posts index

Dan Fredley
on Jul 27, 2012 at 7:55:23 pm

You save a "pseudo effect" as an animation preset in AE by applying the "pseudo effect" to a layer, selecting all of the properties in the timeline and selecting the menu item "Animation>Save Animation."

Return to posts index

Xavier Gomez
on Jul 27, 2012 at 11:35:30 pm

!!! I had seen this option but never used it. Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]