FORUMS: list search recent posts

Improving on the wiggle selector?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Barry
Improving on the wiggle selector?
on Apr 4, 2012 at 7:32:09 am

Hi Guys,
I currently have some per-character text animation going on using the wiggle selector in both the scale and rotation of the text in my comp. However, I find it looks a little limp and directionless. I would like to have a bit more control over how it is scaling and the pace of the transformation.

Ideally, I would like it so that it could go to the beat of the music (per character) but still be slightly random. The music hits a snare almost exactly every second.

It would be great if every second character was doing the opposite to the character next to it, ie. if the first character is scaling down, the second is scaling up.

To keep it looking a little random, I'd love to randomise the destination scale property within a range. So, if a letter is set to scale down, it picks a random value between, say, 60%-80% and if it's scaling up between 90%-110%.

If I could press my luck adding easing into the mix so it's not too rigid would also be nice.

Please let me know whether this isn't the job for expressions or has been covered somewhere else - I've done quite a bit of searching around and experimentation today and have come up short. I'm a beginner when it comes to expressions and any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
Will

Return to posts index

Frank Brown
Re: Improving on the wiggle selector?
on Apr 4, 2012 at 7:47:15 am

Hey Will,
Have you tried to play with "Wiggly Scale Wipe" preset from "Presets-Text-Scale" ?

Return to posts index

Will Barry
on Apr 6, 2012 at 4:36:39 am

Hi Frank, thanks for your response.
Yes I did, in fact that was my starting point, however it doesn't quite have the level of control that I'm after - the animation is not quite right. It doesn't seem 'hit the notes' if I just set the wiggle to 1 per sec.
Cheers,
Will

Return to posts index

Frank Brown
on Apr 13, 2012 at 8:29:26 pm

Create second Animator with same settings and try to play with them, or Duplicate Wiggly Selector and try to edit some values that suits you.
You can also add Slider Control to to make your animation controller more handy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]