FORUMS: list search recent posts

Expression to display keyframe values?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Cosner
Expression to display keyframe values?
on Feb 15, 2012 at 7:29:04 pm

Hey All,
I do a lot of rapid prototyping/previs in AE to serve as a rough animation guide for our 3D artists. From time to time, an artist will want to know particular keyframe values (scale percentages, position changes) that I use to achieve my results. Is there a way to display keyframe values that continually update as the sequence plays? This will make previs renders much more useful (and rely less on my artists eye-balling/guessing the values).

Thanks for any help!

Michael

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Expression to display keyframe values?
on Feb 15, 2012 at 8:27:00 pm

Are you talking about the current value of a keyframed property, or the values at the keyframes themselves (and if so, which keyframe--closest,previous, or next)?

Dan

Return to posts index

Michael Cosner
on Feb 15, 2012 at 9:02:32 pm

Hey Dan,
Yep - I just want to display the values of keyframed properties (position, scale, etc) for every frame over the course of an animation. I tend to do a lot of squash and stretch, so having the scale value changes visible and embedded into one corner of the screen will be extremely useful.

Does that help?

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Feb 15, 2012 at 9:16:07 pm

Using a text layer source text expression, you can format it however you want. For example, you could track Layer 1's position property like this:

myProp = thisComp.layer("Layer 1").transform.position;
"X = " + myProp[0] +"\rY = " + myProp[1]

To get a manageable number of decimal places, you could add toFixed(), like this:

myProp = thisComp.layer("Layer 1").transform.position;
"X = " + myProp[0].toFixed(1) +"\rY = " + myProp[1].toFixed(1)

Dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]