FORUMS: list search recent posts

Loop argument being ignored, whole composition loops instead

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Dean
Loop argument being ignored, whole composition loops instead
on Jan 7, 2012 at 2:45:43 pm

I'm just starting to use expressions for the first time, and currently have no idea why the following doesn't work:
I have a precomp that's made up of 18 one-frame images where a stop-motion arm enters the composition and hovers for 3 frames. I want the arm to enter, then continue to loop the last three frames.

As far as I can tell the expression I've posted should do just that, but the argument (is that the right terminology?) of my loop expression is being ignored. I've tried playing with different values - the whole composition still loops.

Am I applying the expression to the wrong control? I've tried removing the "timeRemap" section too, not that it would do anything. Image of timeline attached also, just in case.

timeRemap
loopOut("cycle",3)

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Loop argument being ignored, whole composition loops instead
on Jan 7, 2012 at 5:08:32 pm

Try this:

loopOutDuration("cycle",3*thisComp.frameDuration)

Dan

Return to posts index

Jonathan Dean
on Jan 7, 2012 at 7:43:46 pm

That's great. Thanks a lot. What does this new expression do differently? Apologies for how basic that must've been.

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Jan 7, 2012 at 8:29:56 pm

Your version says to loop the last three keyframe segments (the area bounded by the last four keyframes). Mine says to loop a specific amount of time (ending at the last keyframe), which I set to a duration of three frames .

Dan

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jan 9, 2012 at 4:22:26 pm

[Jonathan Dean] "That's great. Thanks a lot. What does this new expression do differently? Apologies for how basic that must've been."

An alternative would've been to create another keyframe on the time remap property at the point where you want it to start looping, then change your expression to:

loopOut("cycle", 1);

This would loop between the final keyframe and the final-1 keyframe (previous keyframe).

Dan's solution is easier to implement but I think it's valuable to know what the difference is so you can apply them in other situations. Remember, any animated property can be loopOut()ed, not just time remap! :)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]