FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time remap delay based on layer number

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kristel Ottis
Time remap delay based on layer number
on Sep 23, 2011 at 1:34:39 am

I'm using a slider controller to delay comp start time to create trails. I want to be able to further delay the start time based on the layer number (using index-1) - so i can stagger the layers, but I haven't been able to figure out where to insert it in the case of timeRemap.valueAtTime.

For the position property, I just used:

sldval = thisComp.layer("Controller").effect("Time Offset")("Slider")/100;
thisComp.layer(index-1).transform.position.valueAtTime(time-sldval-d);

and it worked great.

Thanks in advance for any help.

sldval = thisComp.layer("Controller").effect("Delay")("Slider")/100;
timeRemap.valueAtTime(time-sldval);

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Time remap delay based on layer number
on Sep 23, 2011 at 3:29:30 am

I'm not really sure what you're trying to do, but I'd suggest trying this:

sldval = thisComp.layer("Controller").effect("Delay")("Slider")/100; timeRemap.valueAtTime(time-sldval*(index-1));

Dan

Return to posts index

Kristel Ottis
on Sep 23, 2011 at 4:10:00 am

This is probably going to sound very confusing, but I will try to do my best to explain what I am trying to do.

Basically, I am trying to automate the appearance of a bunch of thought bubbles.

I have a simple composition in which the bubble is growing in size (from 0 to 100) and I want to be able to simply duplicate that composition in another composition without having to shift them in time or set any key frames. Each bubble travels along the same path so I'm using

thisComp.layer(index-1).transform.position.valueAtTime(time-sldval-d);

to offset their positions in time. However, I would also like for them to be time remapped, so that when bubble 1 gets from point a to point b (while growing from 0 to 100 size) then bubble 2 could depart from point a (starting at a size value of zero - right now it's pulling frames form the same part of the subcomp as bubble 1 so it starts from point a at 100% in size.)

Ideally I would like to also be able to vary the opacity so that, say, bubble 1 can go from 0 to 100 opacity in the first 15 frames (comp is 30fps), stay at 100% for 1-2 seconds and go back from 100 to 0 in the 15 frames after.

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Sep 23, 2011 at 6:14:54 am

OK, so you do your bubble animation in one comp. You bring that into another comp and turn on time remapping. Add this time remapping expression:

time-sldval*(index-1);

Then duplicate the comp layer a bunch of times. Does that get you close to what you're after?

It seems like the time remapping expression should be the only expression you need.

Dan

Return to posts index

Kristel Ottis
on Sep 23, 2011 at 3:55:20 pm

Thanks for this. The only problem is that my motion paths for different idea bubbles (with tracers) are all different and I want to be able to control them separately in the final comp.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]