FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I add Layer Styles to a Layer with script?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mattias Svendsen
How do I add Layer Styles to a Layer with script?
on Sep 21, 2011 at 12:56:42 pm

Im creating automated ae files using jsx as templates, filled with folder and renderdata using Python. The goal is to have no interaction within AE, everything finished, layered and so on ready for render. Repetetive stuff.

So my question now is how do I add Layer Styles and then change their values to a Layer with script? Basic example please, i need to use Stroke and set width, position(outside) and color.

I also need to know how to script an empty Comp in a Comp, is there a way without going around precompose?

Thanks / Mattias

Return to posts index

Mattias Svendsen
Re: How do I add Layer Styles to a Layer with script?
on Sep 23, 2011 at 1:53:45 pm

Syntax:
shapeLayer1("Effects").addProperty("Grow Bounds");
Works

shapeLayer1("Layer Styles").addProperty("Stroke");
Doesn't work

Extendscript reports:
After Effects error: Can not add a property with name "Stroke" to this ...tyGroup is neither an INDEXED_GROUP nor a text animator prperty group.

? Any hints anyone?

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Sep 23, 2011 at 3:11:52 pm

If you figure out how to do that, please let me know. I have been completely unsuccessful.

Dan

Return to posts index

Mattias Svendsen
on Sep 27, 2011 at 7:42:37 am

Thank you for responding Dan. Seriously Adobe, what the... Im from a maya scripting background and the lack of support in after effects scripting is unprofessional. Im used to deep diving into stuff but Ive been at it for a week and find it rather hard to get into it, not because its tough to program, but the lack of information. (Rant over)

I worked around not being able to use Layer Style/Stroke with

var linearWipe = item.layers[1]("Effects").addProperty("Linear Wipe");
var solidComposite = item.layers[1]("Effects").addProperty("Solid Composite");
var miniMax = item.layers[1]("Effects").addProperty("Minimax");
var levels = item.layers[1]("Effects").addProperty("Levels");

and then oversizing a precomp to get rid of edge artifacts.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/227/13825#13829
Thank you Filip Vandueren!

Return to posts index

John Donley
on Oct 3, 2011 at 5:30:20 pm

I'm having the same trouble, but Im trying to use "inner shadow" which does not have an Effect equivalent.

I can set Layer Style values if that layer style is already turned on in the gui, but I cant figure out how to turn on any layer styles.

If I try to set a value on a layer style that has not been enabled by hand it gives me an error "Can not "set value" with this property, because the property or parent property is hidden"

But if I set that layers style to enabled I get another error "Can not set enabled on this property because canSetEnabled is false", but canSetEnabled is read only, so I have no idea how to turn on the layer style.

Any thoughts?

//This will change the opacity of the inner shadow on a layer with inner shadow turned on already
var layer_1 = test_comp.layer(1)
layer_1.property("Layer Styles").property("Inner Shadow")("Opacity").setValue(10)

Return to posts index

Jürgen Hackl
on Jul 31, 2012 at 1:09:45 pm

I'm having the same problems with my script, I can't enable Layer Styles. Did anyone find a solution in the meantime?

I want to write a expression to a color overlay in a text layer, first I tried this code:

myTextLayer.property("ADBE Layer Styles").property("solidFill/enabled").property("solidFill/color").expression = myExpressionString;

Error: AE says that "set expression" is not possible because the property is hidden/disabled (I don't know the error message of an english AE Version)

Then I tried to add the Property first with this syntax and got the same Error Mattias described in the initial posting.

myTextLayer.property("ADBE Layer Styles").addProperty("solidFill/enabled");

Error: Can not add a property with name ... is neither an INDEXED_GROUP nor a text animator prperty group.

Jürgen

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Jul 31, 2012 at 3:04:51 pm

Do you have CS6? If so, you should be able to give focus to the comp viewer, select the appropriate layer, and execute the menu command to add the layer style. Something like this:

{
var myCompName = "Comp 1";

var myComp = null;
for (var i = 1; i <= app.project.numItems; i++){
if (app.project.item(i).name == myCompName && app.project.item(i) instanceof CompItem){
myComp = app.project.item(i);
}
}
if (myComp){
myComp.openInViewer();
myComp.layer(1).selected = true;
app.executeCommand(app.findMenuCommandId("Color Overlay"));
}
}

Dan

Return to posts index

Jürgen Hackl
on Aug 6, 2012 at 3:12:08 pm

Hi Dan,

thank you for your help. This solution works perfect.
I got the command ID by using alert(app.findMenuCommandId("Farbüberlagerung")) and put the ID direct into the code, otherwise the script would only work in my german AE-version.

app.executeCommand(9006);

br
Jürgen

Return to posts index

Mike Overbeck
on Jul 16, 2014 at 7:30:15 am

Just wanted to say that this post saved my bacon. Thanks Dan!
the findMenuCommandId() and executeCommand() methods are extremely powerful, yet I can't find any Adobe documentation on them (Oh Adobe..)
Here's an interesting related thread over at AE Enhancers. Some of the info may be different since CS3.
http://aenhancers.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=889

Return to posts index

Xavier Gomez
on Jul 16, 2014 at 11:01:20 am
Last Edited By Xavier Gomez on Jul 16, 2014 at 11:26:22 am

Coincidence, David Torno very recently made a much more exhaustive list. See this thread: https://forums.adobe.com/message/6541252#6541252

Edit: concerning layer styles, it is a pity they don't work like Text Animator Properties, or shape stroke dashes: properties are always there, adding a property reveals it, removing a property hides it, etc: A lot simpler.

Xavier

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]