FORUMS: list search recent posts

Expression for Alexa footage. Example expression included.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Björk
Expression for Alexa footage. Example expression included.
on Sep 12, 2011 at 11:10:58 am

At the moment there isn't a simple way to do a logC to linear color conversion of Arri Alexa footage in After Effects. The LUTs provided by Arri doesn't seem to work for this. In Nuke, you just use a simple curve created be this expression:

AlexaV3LogC =

(x > 0.1496582 ? pow(10.0, (x - 0.385537) / 0.2471896) : x / 0.9661776 - 0.04378604) * 0.18 - 0.00937677

As I'm no expert on these type of expressions, I'm unsure how to convert it to use with a levels or a curve effect in AE. All I know is that it's a if/else statement where ? is "then" and the : means "else".

Anyone?

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Expression for Alexa footage. Example expression included.
on Sep 12, 2011 at 3:21:50 pm

I don't know that much about LUTs, but is that formula for a pixel-by-pixel manipulation of luminance? If so, I would think you could do it with a PixelBender effect. Convert RGB to HSL, run luminance through the formula, then HSL to RGB. Something like that.

Dan

Return to posts index

Simon Björk
on Sep 14, 2011 at 8:11:05 am

Thanks for your reply Dan, I will try to do some more research on the subject. Out of curiosity, how come you don't think it's possible with expressions?

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Sep 14, 2011 at 5:57:42 pm

My assumption is that it needs pixel-by-pixel processing, which you can't do (at least in a practical way) with expressions. Of course, I could be completely wrong. I mean, can you manually set up a Levels effect to do this conversion? I guess if you could, you could just save that as a preset.

Dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]