FORUMS: list search recent posts

constraining a position to a time remap. character setup

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
claudine rain
constraining a position to a time remap. character setup
on Aug 24, 2011 at 7:57:24 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am having issues with my character rigging in AFX, basically the body is a frame sequence of 16 shot that shows a turn.
So naturally I imported my sequence and made it a time remaped comp controled by a slider. Of course the poor guy needs arms ! and in order to make the position of the arms (which are very basics masks) follow the turn, I animated the arm position in a separate comp.
So I could make my arm a comp as well, put a time remap on it and link it to a null with a slider in my main comp. but my issue is I want to be able to modify the mask shape as well, how can I have my solid follow a position according to the time remap ? I just need a solution for constraining the position of my elements to a certain point in the time remap.

I hope this will make sense to somebody, any help will be much appreciated !

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
Re: constraining a position to a time remap. character setup
on Aug 24, 2011 at 10:11:05 pm

You can use "value_at_time" but instead of entering a specific value, you link to the time-remapped value of your time-remapped layer. Something along these lines (apply this to a value that has been keyframed to match the pre-time-remapped footage):

value_at_time(thisComp.layer("my layer").timeRemap)

Note that if both your items don't begin at 0, you'll need to add an offset to the time remap (I'd probably link it to an expression control slider, then slide it back and forth until it matched up. Lazy? Inefficient? Perhaps.)

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]