FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding custom plugin to expressions project in AE5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Jackowiak
Adding custom plugin to expressions project in AE5
on Jun 21, 2011 at 8:14:50 pm

I don't know if this is the proper place to post this question, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction if it isn't.

I have an heavy expressions based project I'm trying to clean up. I felt one of the best ways would be to create some custom plugins to clean up a lot of layers that contain all my expression controls.

I am working on a mac, and I opened my "PresetEffects.xml" file and copied in the following code for a basic plugin control as a test. (Before I waste hours of time remapping all of this stuff).

<Effect matchname="QUICK" name="$$$/AE/Preset/QUICK=QUICK">
<Slider name="$$$/AE/Preset/REVEAL=REVEAL" default="0" valid_min="0" valid_max="100" slider_min="0" slider_max="100" precision="1"/>
<Slider name="$$$/AE/Preset/BUTTONSELECTION=BUTTON SELECTION" default="0" valid_min="0" valid_max="10" slider_min="0" slider_max="10" precision="1"/>
</Effect>

I opened up after effects, created a new comp and new solid layer. I went to FILE>SCRIPTS>OPEN SCRIPT EDITOR, and entered the following"

app.project.activeItem.layer(1).effect.addProperty("QUICK");

It said "After Effects Error: Can not add a property with name "QUICK" to this PropertyGroup."
In the Javascript console, it just stated "Result:Undefined"

I tried looking into it, but from what I can find, this seems to be correct unless I'm overlooking something. Again, thanks for any help or advice in advance.

John Jackowiak
Brand New Motion
johnj.bnm@gmail.com

***Recent Work***

http://brand-newmotion.com/reels/motion_graphics.mov

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Adding custom plugin to expressions project in AE5
on Jun 21, 2011 at 8:26:44 pm

What were your additions/changes to the xml file?

Also, what kind of controls do you need? I think it's cleaner to create a PixelBender plugin than to hack the xml file.

Dan

Return to posts index

John Jackowiak
on Jun 21, 2011 at 8:40:02 pm

I just added the following code below at the end of the xml file just before the closing bracket for the entire document. For the sake of not copying the entire document, Without any of the other pre existing effects, the document would look like this:

<Effects>

<Effect matchname="QUICK" name="$$$/AE/Preset/QUICK=QUICK">
<Slider name="$$$/AE/Preset/REVEAL=REVEAL" default="0" valid_min="0" valid_max="100" slider_min="0" slider_max="100" precision="1"/>
<Slider name="$$$/AE/Preset/BUTTONSELECTION=BUTTON SELECTION" default="0" valid_min="0" valid_max="10" slider_min="0" slider_max="10" precision="1"/>
</Effect>

</Effects>

I basically need 14 slider controls that I was looking to split up into 6 groups between 3 separate custom plugins. (10-1st plugin, 2-2nd plugin, 2-3rd plugin). They are all basically very similar with different group names to separate them. I already have them all written out by basically copying and pasting. I could post them if it would be helpful. I'm not too familiar with pixel bender.

John Jackowiak
Brand New Motion
johnj.bnm@gmail.com

***Recent Work***

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Jun 21, 2011 at 8:45:10 pm

I don't see any code. Try not using the expression code box.

Dan

Return to posts index

John Jackowiak
on Jun 21, 2011 at 9:01:43 pm

Sorry. here you go:

It has the proper "<" bracket in front of "Effect matchname", "Slider name". and the closing "/Effect". I had to leave them out because it wasn't posting when I left them in. (As you could see).

Effect matchname="QUICK" name="$$$/AE/Preset/QUICK=QUICK">
Slider name="$$$/AE/Preset/REVEAL=REVEAL" default="0" valid_min="0" valid_max="100" slider_min="0" slider_max="100" precision="1"/>
Slider name="$$$/AE/Preset/BUTTONSELECTION=BUTTON SELECTION" default="0" valid_min="0" valid_max="10" slider_min="0" slider_max="10" precision="1"/>
/Effect>

John Jackowiak
Brand New Motion
johnj.bnm@gmail.com

***Recent Work***

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Jun 21, 2011 at 10:39:59 pm

Your syntax looks good. I just tried adding your QUICK preset to my PresetEffects.xml file (including the missing brackets of course) and applied it with your script snippet. It works fine for me. I don't know why it doesn't work for you. You did restart AE, right?

Dan

Return to posts index

John Jackowiak
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:00:08 am

I did. But to no avail. Are you working on a mac or pc?

John Jackowiak
Brand New Motion
johnj.bnm@gmail.com

***Recent Work***

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:18:12 am

I tried on a PC (Win 7 x64).

Dan

Return to posts index

John Jackowiak
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:23:58 am

Im on an intel mac pro running osx 10.6. Have you heard any issues perhaps?

John Jackowiak
Brand New Motion
johnj.bnm@gmail.com

***Recent Work***

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Jun 22, 2011 at 2:08:51 am

I don't know of any reason it wouldn't work.

Dan

Return to posts index

John Jackowiak
on Jun 22, 2011 at 3:09:41 pm

I'll keep searching around. I'm not too familiar with pixel bender. Do you think it would be easier, or is there a better way to do this?

John Jackowiak
Brand New Motion
johnj.bnm@gmail.com

***Recent Work***

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Jun 22, 2011 at 3:50:54 pm

Pixel Bender is pretty easy once you learn how to do it, but it's definitely better than messing with the xml file. For one thing, once you have your .pbk plugin, you can just drop it into the Plug-ins folder. So you can use it on any machine, send it to other people, etc.

Another thing is that knowing how to knock out an effect in PB can be very handy in general.

As a test, I implemented your example in PB (it only took a few minutes). I know it will get mangled if I try and post it here, but if you contact me through my web site I'll send it to you and you can play with it.

Dan

Return to posts index

John Jackowiak
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:02:28 pm

Thanks Dan. I just shot you an e-mail.

John Jackowiak
Brand New Motion
johnj.bnm@gmail.com

***Recent Work***

Return to posts index