FORUMS: list search recent posts

Point on the surface of a sphere (rotating)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Morris
Point on the surface of a sphere (rotating)
on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:46:13 pm

Greetings! I have a need for a null to move along the surface of a sphere, randomly (or adjustable). I am wondering what the expression would be for this, so I can adjust the radius of the sphere? I know Dan Ebberts has a great expression here:
http://www.motionscript.com/mastering-expressions/random-sphere.html

That would seem to work if I could just use one point, then "wiggle" it around, possibly. But I don't understand the expression enough to know how to adjust the speed that the null moves around, and how I can make it move in more of a gyroscope kind of motion, if I want it to. Any thoughts?

Fine Art Drawings | Photography | Compositing | VFX | Titles | Keying | 3D

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Point on the surface of a sphere (rotating)
on Jun 21, 2011 at 5:04:48 pm

How about just putting a null at the center of the sphere, parenting your layer to that, then rotate the null (or wiggle its rotation properties) however you want?

Dan

Return to posts index

Robert Morris
Re: Point on the surface of a sphere (rotating)
on Jun 21, 2011 at 5:10:28 pm

That's EXACTLY what I've been playing with now. I had thought I wouldn't be able to get the global position value of the null if I did that, but thanks to another of your expressions:

L = thisComp.layer("Null 1");
L.toWorld(L.anchorPoint)

...I was able to! Now I'm just creating a set of sliders so I can adjust the value of the radius and various properties.

I thought there might be a way to just do all of this without parenting, only using expressions. But parenting a null to a "Center" null with rotation definitely seems to give me the control I wanted. It doesn't quite move in a gyroscope-ish way, but that might be a matter of me tweaking the values more. Thank you for your help!

Fine Art Drawings | Photography | Compositing | VFX | Titles | Keying | 3D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]