FORUMS: list search recent posts

Iterating a pixel bender plugin?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Woods
Iterating a pixel bender plugin?
on Jun 7, 2011 at 1:57:50 pm

Hey folks,

I am wanting to use an implementation of Conway's Game of Life as an Effect in AE.
I am trying to use the following pixelbender script:

http://petervandernoord.nl/blog/2010/10/conways-game-of-life-in-pixel-bende...

The script was written for flash, but works great as an AE plugin, except that it always uses the original image as its source instead iterating, so it remains one generation away from the source image. Can anyone think of a way either using Pixel Bender or an AE expression to use the output of the previous frame as the input for the next?

Thanks,

-Matt

Need a quick break from motion graphics?
Try my game Constellation at:
http://www.paperdragongames.com

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Iterating a pixel bender plugin?
on Jun 7, 2011 at 2:42:22 pm

Hmmm.... I don't see how that could work. AE is designed so that you can just click anywhere on the timeline and it will display that frame. But in this case, it would need data that doesn't exist because previous frames weren't rendered. My guess is that you'd need to do it with a conventional (C++) plugin where you could get the data from the first frame and iterate it up to the current frame.

Dan

Return to posts index

Matthew Woods
on Jun 7, 2011 at 6:25:46 pm

I know there are effects that work like this. Particle effects for example work based on the previous frame (or data from the previous frame). They usually render fast from the start, but take awhile if you try to cut into the middle (presumably because they have to calculate the prior frames).

You might be right though that there is no way to do it with pixel bender or expressions. For now, I am using screen grabs from another program running a life simulation.

Still curious if anyone has an idea how to make the plug-in work in AE. I'd like to get into Pixel Bender more. It seems really powerful.

Need a quick break from motion graphics?
Try my game Constellation at:
http://www.paperdragongames.com

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 7, 2011 at 8:03:32 pm

Dan is right that the best way to go about this is with the C/C++ plug-in SDK.

Pixel Bender is great as an image processing platform, but you're asking for something very different.

You'll notice that there aren't any particle system plug-ins written with Pixel Bender.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]