FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can this be done with expressions?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carl Endres
Can this be done with expressions?
on Dec 14, 2010 at 6:04:01 pm

Hi, I've done very little in expressions besides pickwhipping, and I'm not sure if this can be even done using expressions, but it would sure make life a lot easier if it can. I'll try and give a detailed explanation of what I'm trying to do...

1) Imagine a circular color chart, that is made up of 90 layers, each layer being a different shape and color.

2) I would like to have all these layers begin somewhere off camera in Z space and come together to form the circular color chart. Basically like a backwards shatter effect.

3) I would like the pieces to rotate some as their moving and don't want them all join together at exactly the same time. The whole fly in effect has to happen in about 2 seconds so I'm just looking for a little randomness in when they all finally complete to form the color chart.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just know I don't have time to individually keyframe all these layers. Thanks Carl

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Can this be done with expressions?
on Dec 16, 2010 at 5:58:39 pm

Just keyframe them moving over, say, a second and a half, then quickly go through and shift your layers in time a bit. It wouldn't take very long to do manually.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Carl Endres
on Dec 17, 2010 at 12:50:24 pm

Thanks Mike, I guess since it doesnt sound possible to do with expressions, I'll have to try a different approach like you mentioned. Because over 90 layers are involved, I'll probably manually keyframe 10 layers with different motion paths, rotation,and then copy those keyframes to various other layers and then stagger the layers in time. Thanks for your input - Carl

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 17, 2010 at 2:35:02 pm

There's probably a way to offset it with expressions, but figuring out how to make it work and troubleshooting issues with it will probably take longer than doing it manually. Besides, doing it manually gives you more control which you would have found out you wanted to have, but didn't had you gone the expression route.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]