FORUMS: list search recent posts

Use an expression to move a single Shape Layer path endpoint

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Merkel
Use an expression to move a single Shape Layer path endpoint
on Oct 21, 2010 at 8:30:58 pm

I've drawn a simple two point Shape Layer path using the Pen Tool - no Bezier curves. Now I want to animate only the 2nd end-point using an expression. For example Wiggle the 2nd end-point up and down while the first end-point remains stationary.

But am not sure what to append to the following expression of Path 1: content("Shape 1").content("Path 1").path

I'd like to address only the Y value of the 2nd end-point in the path but am unable to find what type of (array?) this is to address it.

Any help on explaining the Path object and how to address its point positions in the expression would be appreciated. Thanks!

content("Shape 1").content("Path 1").path

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Use an expression to move a single Shape Layer path endpoint
on Oct 21, 2010 at 9:32:08 pm

You can't access individual path points with expressions. You can do it with a script, but you don't get the live update. You could set up your animation with a dummy layer, and when you're satisfied, have a script move the path point to match the dummy at each frame. I'm not sure if that would help with your particular situation though.

Dan

Return to posts index

Robert Merkel
on Oct 22, 2010 at 10:21:53 am

Thanks for the reply Dan!
That may work but I'm unfamiliar with the AE object model.
I'm looking at: http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/pdfs/aftereffectscs3_scripting_g...
and not sure where to find the Path Object. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks again,

Bob

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Oct 22, 2010 at 6:23:26 pm

What you need to look at is the info about Shape objects. Also, if you don't already have it, get Jeff Almasol's rd:Gimme Prop Path script. You can use it to find the correct way to access pretty much anything:

http://www.redefinery.com/ae/view.php?item=rd_GimmePropPath

Dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]